Re-work in the Dungeon Shop

steven newman

Thanks to being in too big a hurry. Grooves off-center, tenons not centered or square. More cracks and gaps than a Plumber's College.

Dug around, found a 3/8" straight cutter bit for the router. Re-set the fence as well Re-cut ALL the grooves i had made up. Then went to work on those tenons.

Do have a few test fits going on. Will try to post a few pictures tomorrow....

HATE RE-WORK!

Taking a Mountain Dew break right now. Have the end panels done, one still in the clamps. All the parts for the front and back are sized and ready for joinery.

WHEW! Rough ( and I mean ROUGH) sawn Walnut. LOTS of plane work, just to get things flat and square. Might have to sharpen the Jack planes back up, when I get ready to made a top for this box.

While the back will be Pine, the top rail will be Walnut. The Middle rails are a bit wider than the top and bottom ones. May not even raise the Pine panels. Maybe just a rebate around the edges...

ning-dscf0050-5115-74.jpg?width=721

Ok, lets see...

Sides are all glued up, with the floor board cleats installed

Went to drill the counter bores for the screw holes, drill press table would just tilt out of the way. Found a wrench that fit, table no longer tilts. Went back and drilled the pilot holes. Add some glue to the edges, and screw all the sides together, into a box like structure.

Went in this afternoon, cut two planks to install as flooring. Handsaw work, took three tries to find a sharp one, to cut PINE.

Installed the two boards, with an air-gap. Gap will let dust drop out, and allow for any expansion.

Started to work down the last walnut plank. Three pieces, 28" long, plus the end scraps. One has a "design feature" that won't plane away on the edge. Use this one towards the front. Worked down the rough, knotty edges with a Stanley #31 Jointer plane. All three planks were edge jointed. Went to check if the three would be wide enough......NOPE, just the normal luck around the shop.  Need a piece 4/4 by 2 by 28" long.......None left in the shop. Oh well, I will go ahead with these three, get them glued up, and maybe, just maybe add a Pine edge all the way around.

Most of the hand planes are getting overused, will need a lot of time at the sharpening station when I get done with this.

Having to bring the last two jack planes down to the shop, even Junior Jack may show up. The DEC isn't talking to me at the moment, complaining about being overworked...

This interwebbie hot spot thingy doesn't like to load photos to any site. Might just box up the set, and head to the Library later this next week.

they are on "Break" for now. Been a long day for these guys. The wood bodied one is a Stanley #31, about 24" long, with a 2-3/8" wide iron. Next to it is a Stanley Four Square Junior Jack, A sargent #414c, a Corsair C-5 Scrub jack, a FrankenBailey #5, and hiding in the tool tray is a Millers Falls #9. Can't get anything done until these get off break, I guess..

ning-dscf0046-5110-6.jpg?width=721

• 5 years later...