Cherry Chest - PIP

John Moody

Just to put what I had so far on the Cherry Blanket chest in one post. The Picture below is the sytle I am building this chest like.

ning-img-2941-4990-46.jpg

The sides and ends of this chest will have the boards vertical instead of horizontal. In order to keep them as flat as possible and not have so much sanding to to at the end I have been putting them together in sections.

First I laid them out on the table after they were cut and run across the jointer and and through the planer to get close to finish size. This let me look at the grain and try to match it so it looks like a seamless piece as much as possible.

ning-img-2943-4990-58.jpg

Then I biscuit jointed each of the sections. I put two boards together at a time, but first I ran them through the table saw with the glue edge blade to get a good square edge.

ning-img-2991-4990-58.jpg

The photo above shows the gaps before run through the table saw.

Now they are glued into to two board sections.

ning-img-2924-4990-47.jpgning-img-2930-4990-56.jpg

Then the two board sections were flattened in the planer and then two of the two board sections were glued.

ning-img-2998-4990-1.jpg

So now I only had to smooth out this joint but from here on it is done with the belt sander since they are too wide to run through the planer. There are nine pieces to make up the sides panels so I had to glue three in one of the sections.

So then I put the sections together to check and see before the final two pieces got put together.

ning-img-3007-4990-48.jpg

So it was cut biscuit joints here and put them into the 50" Bessey Clamps. And let me just tell you I really like the Bessey Clamps for gluing these type of panels. They are expensive, but do a great job.

So both the front and back panels glued and standing on my work bench in the 50" clamps.

ning-img-3008-4990-31.jpg

And here they are with the two end pieces standing in front of them.

ning-img-3009-4990-4.jpg

So I will start working on the skirt for the bottom and the trim around the top and I got in my stain samples so I will take some extra boards I cut out and get me color matches done. This has taken a good bit more time putting these panels together but I am liking the end results.

Well I will post some more on it later. Let me know what you think.

I would never have thought of gluing them up like that John!!!! It will look cool for sure, and I know that was a ton of time getting those joined up and glued. I can't wait to see the end product.

The only concern I would have with that method is the movement of the wood now. Since all the expansion and contraction takes place perpendicular to the grain, you may have to take precautions to make sure you either restrict the movement or allow it to move. But really it can be a regional thing too, I could get away with that here in the west as dry as it is all the time. And as long as it stayed here in the west it would be fine. I am not sure how your climate is there, you have a better feel then I do for it obviously so you may not even think it's an issue, and I am just blowing gas out of my pie hole! :) hehe, that happens frequently.

The vertical grain is going to give it a neat contrast to the skirting, I assume the grain of the skirting will have to be perpendicular to the case, or not! You do some amazing things in that ol shop of yours, the sky is the limit.

Thanks for sharing John, what a wonderful project, I love the ones where the customer says, "Just use your imagination and build me something cool". Those are the funnest ones.

• 5 years later...
34 minutes ago, Cal said:

So... @John Moody, how did it turn out?

Hey Cal, I can answer for John here, it turned out beautifully and there are follow up topics on this, I'll look for them in the archives and get em moved over here so you all can view the craftsmanship that went into this chest. Or you can search in the Archives for Cherry Chest and you may find them as well. But for sure I'll get em moved over here.

It held up very well. I heard from the decorator that I worked it’s a year or so after it was built and shipped and everything was good. No problems with movement as we discussed and it is still in use today. The house this went into, every piece of furniture was built by a different craftsman. 

I have worked with this decorator on another another project so I Think my work was good. I have quoted a few pieces that I didn’t get and been sent a few to look at that were above my skill set.

Thanks @John Morris for moving this up. It was an awesome, challenging project.