Sign in to follow this  
John Moody

Cherry Chest - Making Projess - pip

Just to put what I had so far on the Cherry Blanket chest in one post. The Picture below is the sytle I am building this chest like.

ning-img-2941-4990-46.jpg

The sides and ends of this chest will have the boards vertical instead of horizontal. In order to keep them as flat as possible and not have so much sanding to to at the end I have been putting them together in sections.

First I laid them out on the table after they were cut and run across the jointer and and through the planer to get close to finish size. This let me look at the grain and try to match it so it looks like a seamless piece as much as possible.

ning-img-2943-4990-58.jpgThen I biscuit jointed each of the sections. I put two boards together at a time, but first I ran them through the table saw with the glue edge blade to get a good square edge.

ning-img-2991-4990-58.jpgThe photo above shows the gaps before run through the table saw.

Now they are glued into to two board sections.

ning-img-2924-4990-47.jpgning-img-2930-4990-56.jpgThen the two board sections were flattened in the planer and then two of the two board sections were glued.

ning-img-2998-4990-1.jpgSo now I only had to smooth out this joint but from here on it is done with the belt sander since they are too wide to run through the planer. There are nine pieces to make up the sides panels so I had to glue three in one of the sections.

So then I put the sections together to check and see before the final two pieces got put together.

ning-img-3007-4990-48.jpg

So it was cut biscuit joints here and put them into the 50" Bessey Clamps. And let me just tell you I really like the Bessey Clamps for gluing these type of panels. They are expensive, but do a great job.

So both the front and back panels glued and standing on my work bench in the 50" clamps.

ning-img-3008-4990-31.jpgAnd here they are with the two end pieces standing in front of them.

ning-img-3009-4990-4.jpgSo I will start working on the skirt for the bottom and the trim around the top and I got in my stain samples so I will take some extra boards I cut out and get me color matches done. This has taken a good bit more time putting these panels together but I am liking the end results.

Well I will post some more on it later. Let me know what you think.

John Moody
Site Administratorning-johnmoodywoodworkslogo2-4990-44.jpghttp://www.johnmoodywoodworks.com
“Don’t make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, don’t hesitate to make it beautiful.†Shaker Saying

I would never have thought of gluing them up like that John!!!! It will look cool for sure, and I know that was a ton of time getting those joined up and glued. I can't wait to see the end product.

The only concern I would have with that method is the movement of the wood now. Since all the expansion and contraction takes place perpendicular to the grain, you may have to take precautions to make sure you either restrict the movement or allow it to move. But really it can be a regional thing too, I could get away with that here in the west as dry as it is all the time. And as long as it stayed here in the west it would be fine. I am not sure how your climate is there, you have a better feel then I do for it obviously so you may not even think it's an issue, and I am just blowing gas out of my pie hole! :) hehe, that happens frequently.

The vertical grain is going to give it a neat contrast to the skirting, I assume the grain of the skirting will have to be perpendicular to the case, or not! You do some amazing things in that ol shop of yours, the sky is the limit.

Thanks for sharing John, what a wonderful project, I love the ones where the customer says, "Just use your imagination and build me something cool". Those are the funnest ones.

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker
ning-image001-4998-96.jpg?width=90

John, Movement has been a big concern since I started this chest. Here is a picture of the one I was sent to go by. The corners are just mitered but the concern for me is enclosing it in the base and the top trim.

ning-img-2941-4997-34.jpg

John Moody
Site Administratorning-johnmoodywoodworkslogo2-4997-6.jpg?http://www.johnmoodywoodworks.com
“Don’t make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, don’t hesitate to make it beautiful.†Shaker Saying

Is there a top tray in this chest John?

John Moody said:

John, Movement has been a big concern since I started this chest. Here is a picture of the one I was sent to go by. The corners are just mitered but the concern for me is enclosing it in the base and the top trim.

ning-img-2941-4995-11.jpg

John Moody
Site Administratorning-johnmoodywoodworkslogo2-4995-4.jpg?http://www.johnmoodywoodworks.com
“Don’t make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, don’t hesitate to make it beautiful.” Shaker Saying

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker
ning-image001-4995-32.jpg?width=90

John,

why enclose it in the trim? instead attach the trim below the side panels this will allow the panels to expand over the trim eliminating the likely hood of blowing the trim joints apart.

Round Barn WoodCrafts, Plymouth WI
roundbarnwoodcrafts@hotmail.com

Great suggestion John, so in essence, what you are suggesting is to build a base for the chest to sit on? I like it.

John Hechel said:

John,

why enclose it in the trim? instead attach the trim below the side panels this will allow the panels to expand over the trim eliminating the likely hood of blowing the trim joints apart.

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker
ning-image001-4993-74.jpg?width=90

yes sir. slotted holes and screws will allow for movement. John may even want to consider inserting dowels (like a bedrail fastener) to drive the screws into instead of screwing into the end grain of the cherry.  

I like it!!!!

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker
ning-image001-4991-93.jpg?width=90

Sign in to follow this  

Who We Are

Operation Ward 57 Challenge Coin Display Project

We are a woodworking community with an emphasis on sharing and learning the skilled craft of woodworking and all of its related disciplines. Our community is open to everyone who wishes to join us. We support our American veterans and active duty, being a veteran is not a prerequisite to join. Join us now!

Objective

Air Force Command Center Plaque

Of course just like most online woodworking communities we are centralized in the arts, crafts, and trades that are woodworking. But, we have another focus in our Patriot Woodworker community, we are the only woodworking community that was founded on our care and concern for our disabled veterans.

Volunteer

Patriot Woodworker Volunteers

The Patriot Woodworkers are an all volunteer community, from the staff and hosts who run our online woodworking community to the members who frequent our forums, you'll find volunteers in all of us. We are not on a payroll, unless you consider the spiritual rewards gained from volunteering, as compensation.

Education

Logging

One of the many projects we are working on is a wiki for our online community. A wiki is a great way for woodworkers and enthusiasts to share their knowledge to others, and to impart their knowledge for others to learn from, and utilize as well for their own benefit. We hope you'll consider being a wiki contributor.