Scrollsaw Tips and Tricks - 3/4/2014 - Inside/Outside Corners

As mentioned before, the tips and tricks we mention here are personal choices and not gospel.  We all have our particular ways of doing things that work for us.  There are NO absolutes in scrolling.

Today, I want to talk a little about inside and outside cuts.  I produced a little video on several ways in which to make these cuts but am unable to embed this video in this post for some reason.  That being said, if you will, take a look at the video HERE and then we will come back for a little discussion.

As mentioned, these are but a few of the ways that we cut these types of corners and yet, we probably spend more time with these techniques that any others.

How about y'all?  Which method do YOU prefer with different species of wood?  Different methods depending on soft or hard wood?  Let us know what you think.

Thanks again for participating in this discussion.

Fred
aka Pop's Shop
www.pops-shop.com
'Soooooo many patterns - sooooo little time'
Scroll Saw Forum Host
'Stop complaining about the storm and learn to dance in the rain.'

Fred

Nice video. I think you were having a issue with the autofocus though. I have used all the methods you had shown. My preference is to cut the corners out with out running into a waste area. Doing the outside or isnide loops. This is not always an option depending on the project at hand. So my thought were establish a system that works for me and make them all that way. This way when I need sharp corners I have a system that gives me what I need. For stars I cut them out from the center, basically the way you did. But my first cuts empty the center so I have 2 straight line cuts to the points. Seems to keep all the corners nice and sharp for me. Inside corners for boxes I just turn the blade in the corner while I apply a little pressure to the back of the blade with the cutting piece. Warning don't take a long turn, you can burn the wood, but this gives me almost perfect corners each time. Same princaple for outside corners.

For the people using sprial blades, you can just cut according to the line. One thing I have had problems with using spirals is getting very sharp corners.The shape of the blade tends to leave them all rounded. I do like spirals for making veining cuts wider and cleaner. But that is about the only time I use them. It also cleans up where the blade may have flexed a bit during the cut so all things are balanced.

Once again great video and naration (sp), Kudos to you.

Wayne Mahler
God bless and protect our troops that serve so we can be free.

Yes, Wayne, I did notice the autofocus problem.  Should have used my other camera but it does not mount to my tripod.  If I make other videos, I'll have to come up with another idea.

Great pickup on folks using spiral blades.

OK, we have heard from Wayne, how about some other comments/suggestions scrollers?

Fred
aka Pop's Shop
www.pops-shop.com
Scroll Saw Forum Host

Haven't been able to get out to the shop since last week.

Been way too busy trying to keep the snow melt out of the basement. A few more sand bags, a sump pump and cooler temps and it's getting under control!

I keep reading your post and I'll have to watch the video again.

Thanks for taking the time to do these.

Harry Brink
Bulldog Woodworking
Montana

Am in the process of cutting a plaque out of 3/4" Cherry - hard stuff - burns easily - what to do with inside and outside corners - spin technique won't work because of burning issues - OK - used modified "cut straight past the outside corner, come back with a half-moon, and then go for the corner - inside cuts - had to make a much bigger circle coming back to the corner with easy pressure to keep from burning - OH, YES, did I say I increased the blade size by a couple sizes???

Fred
aka Pop's Shop
www.pops-shop.com
Scroll Saw Forum Host

Fred

Blade size and speed are critical on wood that burns easy, Cherry is a great example of it too. Sometimes I change the blade type. For example, going from an unltra reverse to a crown tooth which cuts both way. Cutting both up and down strokes clears the dust better and allows more air around the blade to help keep it cooler. Of course filing the back of the blade with an extra fine diamond file before cutting. The other ultrmantive would be a spiral blade so corners are done with out turns, just an even movment of the wood. Something I tried once, using blade lube on thicker wood and doubling up the packing tape. Two layers on top, one the bottom.  he lube did have it's draw backs though, and didn't show up till the finish was applied. Reading your post brought back quite a few memories on not so good things that can happen.

Wayne Mahler
God bless and protect our troops that serve so we can be free.

Archived