Oak Cabinet Build

Ron Dudelston

I recently bid a job to build in cabinets in a back kitchen of a house that was built in 1874. I bid the job way high because I really didn't want to do it. Unfortunately, the customer (who is a friend of mine) accepted the bid. The house has 10 ft. ceilings and the outside wall was out of plumb about 3/4" top to bottom. I custom built two 45" x 23 1/4" x 24 deep raised panel cabinets to go in a nook over the refrigerator, a 10" wide broom closet and built in the range. Here's the before pictures.

ning-100-4258-4277-75.jpg?width=750

ning-100-4259-4277-24.jpg?width=750

Here's the after pictures.

ning-100-4277-4277-63.jpg?width=750

ning-100-4280-4277-20.jpg?width=750

ning-100-4279-4277-37.jpg?width=750

Isn't that shabby Harry? The entire room needs re-papered and hopefully they'll re-finish the trim while they're at it. That window gave me fits. The sill at the bottom sticks out so far that I had to made a wide stile on the broom closet and the to was the same. In fact, I actually took the upper window trim off and trimmed 3/8 of an inch off the back to help the door to open fully. A real pain.

Looks Great, Ron! I like the broom closet idea. Refrigerator openings can be a real bear. I redid our kitchen about 15 years ago and made all the openings as per "appliance specs". Just recently we had to replace the refrigerator- there was no spare room on either side!

Outstanding Ron!!!! Great job, nice and clean and professional, geez, it looks like you done this before?

I know what you mean about the sill Ron, I have had jobs like that too where you just have to go :unorthodox" to make it fit and work. Sometimes there are no way around it.

I love it, great job mate!

• 4 years later...