Friday, March 21st, What's on Your Patriot Woodworker Agenda?

John Moody

Can you believe it? Spring is actually here. Yep, it arrived yesterday and it was a beautiful day here in North Alabama. Temps were in the mid 60's, not a cloud in the sky, I think I am feeling better already, well except now that things are blooming I can't breath. Oh well got to always have something.

So we have a great weather weekend coming up and it will be a good time to get in some shop work. If it has been too cold for you then maybe you can now get out there and get some saw dust going on. It is also a good time to get out and start looking for some rust. Open air markets will start up soon and you will be able to find all kind of objects.

I seem to just go from one project to another and believe me that is great and not a complaint. After shipping out the Cherry Blanket Chest I took a few evenings to slow down just a bit and clean up the shop. Seems I had every flat surface in the shop covered with something. So now things are cleaned up and put away in their spot ready for the next project.

This weekend I will be working on several things. First off will be this 12" x 12" laminated table top. I have a metal frame in the shop of a customer that wants this to just sit down in. So I got it glued last night and should be ready to finish off early in the morning and cut to size and ready for pickup.

ning-img-3311-4000-11.jpg

It is made like some of my cutting boards so it was pretty straight forward.

Next of the agenda for tomorrow is to get two White Oak shadow boxes cut out and glued together. I got the pieces cut and planned last night and will take them to final dimension tomorrow and them glue and clamp. I really hope to get those finished by the end of the day.

ning-img-3309-4000-44.jpg

I need to but out another batch of cutting boards to get ahead of my orders.

In bringing in all of the old tools, yesterday was a great day when a package arrived from Woodcraft with a few new tools to add to the shop.

ning-img-3312-4000-13.jpg

I picked up a Wixie digital Angle Gauge. Wow can I tell you how sweet that thing is. As soon as I play with it a little I will give you a full write up on it.

My digital calipers had gone on the blink and I literally mean blink. I would start to move them and the screen would change to mm then to inches and then to decimals and only half of the number would be visible. I changed the battery but didn't do much for it so it was time for a replacement. I really like the Wixie 6" digital calipers. Let me tell you one of the best feathers on both is the ability to change the battery without a tool.

My Glue line blade was getting a little dull I think so while I had the chance I got a new one and will send to old one out and have it sharpened as a backup.

Those were all given to me for my birthday by my wonderful wife.

So what about the rest of you wonderful Patriot Woodworkers, what is on your agenda this weekend? Are you building a new project, continuing on an old project, cleaning out the shop for the spring, making jigs, and just sitting and watching March Madness on the TV(your bracket has already been busted)? We here at TPW love to see what you are doing in your shop and the projects you do may just inspire someone else to give it a try and hone their skills. So jump in here and share what you are working on and please post pictures. We love to see the projects and it gives such wonderful description of what you are doing.

Okay, quit reading now and start posting!

I really like my Wixey protractor, too. I should have purchased the one with longer legs when I got mine and I wish the locking mechanism was a little easier to operate.

For me, the bunk beds are coming along. The Mom is going to check out what I've done so far and provide some thoughts on a couple of points I need clarified.

Last week I did a bit of shop organizing and found a bunch of original Incra stuff. Enough that I think (I don't do that often) that I can make a fairly accurate fence for my new to me Shopsmith. At least far more accurate than the stock fence.

So, that will consume most of the weekend. I have T track and UHMW on order to complete the make over. When it's done, I should have a fence capable of being moved in 1/64th increments. A level of performance not even approached by Shopsmith.

I still have 3 more jewelry chests to complete. Maybe, building this fence is my way of procrastinating. And, on the back burner is also a new Japanese plane that needs to be tuned as well as 8 other old Baileys that need to go to rehab. At the rate I work, I could put off those jewelry chests for months.

I've been out in the shop (garage) the last couple of days trying to get a few things started but Spring was delayed and we are COLD and snowy!

I did get some blanks glued and cut to size for some more kids tug boat puzzles. The Farmers Market in June will be here before I know it!

ning-tugboatpuzzel-4008-11.jpg?width=721

The other project that's been on my bench for the last 2 winters was the kids rocking chair. The pattern came from Allen Worsham. Every time I tried to work on it, it was just too cold to get anything done. And then when it was warm enough other projects had to get done.

Since Great Grandson turns 3 on Sunday and he's , so far, the only youngster that can use it, I got motivated to get it done.

ning-rockingchair1-4008-83.jpg?width=721

Going to try to get out to the shop today and work on things but so far it's 16*. What happened to Spring!!!

have some nice weather so me an momma put up a new fence w/help from so friends that was Fri,and today i put down the floor for the bathroom in the shop,so now i have a top to put the joiner on, just need to build table for it,while i was doin that put my foot thru the floor of the new shop(old building),had a small leak in roof,fixed it but didnt look at floor,so now i have to put down a new floor in it.

"Can you believe it? Spring is actually here."

ning-foldedarmsno-4006-35.gif

Not here in Siberia (S.E. WI.)

22° with forecast high of 27° for today.

ning-cold-4006-64.gif

I'll be out dropping/cutting/splitting another seasoned in place Ironwood (Hop Hornbeam) tree to try and make it until Spring decides to get here.

Harry,

Nice looking boats and the chair turned out great as well. I made one of the chairs for my grand nephew that was born in November, but the paint on the back and seat curdled on me with the cold weather or possibly something in the wood, soI have to sand them down to bare wood and re-do the paint again. I decided to wait until summer to get it finished up and they get into their new house. After all he won't be ready to rock on his own for awhile.

Harry, Those be dandy boats and chair. Your great grandson is gonna have some fun.

Hey Larry,

Tulips are up! Lilacs and Irises are poking through, Creeping Myrtle is covered with tiny blue flowers and the lizards are scurrying. Spring has arrived on the mesa! 61º today and 70º by Tues.
Wife is baking Mexican Wedding cookies, Peanut butter cookies with Chocolate chips and Oatmeal raisin cookies. And I'm working on my procrastination project.

Life is good.