Razor Blade Hand Plane

John Moody

This little plane was in the picture I posted last week from a pick I went on. I really like the unusual look of this little guy when I saw it.

This is a Wil-Kro plane that was patened in 1942 on patent number 2289504. The Patent was issued to Wilhelm Kromer thus Wil-Kro plane.

ning-wilkorhandplane-1588-12.jpg

ning-wilkorhandplane1-1588-47.jpg

At first glance I thought the plane was cracked on both sides until I realized it comes apart at that joint.

ning-wilkorhandplane2-1588-48.jpgOf course you could use a double or single edge razor blade. The handle on the plane is able to accept a handle.

Another of those little jewels that sometimes you overlook until you take a second look around a room.

The gentleman I got this from was 81 years old and this was his father's plane who was a woodworker. I got several pieces while there and I will share them each over the next few weeks.

Back to Patriot Picking

John Moody
Site Administratorning-johnmoodywoodworkslogo2-1588-91.jpghttp://www.johnmoodywoodworks.com
“Don’t make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, don’t hesitate to make it beautiful.†Shaker Saying

Also known as a floor plane.    Handle had two "totes" to push this little guy along the floor, without having to crawl around on one's knees.   OUCH!     I think a company called Little Giant make them.   

The Wil in the name came from Wilkinson Sword Co. 

Stanley also had a version of this little guy.   Mainly for leveling joints in wood floors.

Planer? I'm the 'planer', and these are what I use...

You are correct Steve. Thanks for adding that, I was going to mention the Stanley and floor plane and forgot while I was typing.

steven newman said:

Also known as a floor plane.    Handle had two "totes" to push this little guy along the floor, without having to crawl around on one's knees.   OUCH!     I think a company called Little Giant make them.   

The Wil in the name came from Wilkinson Sword Co. 

Stanley also had a version of this little guy.   Mainly for leveling joints in wood floors.

Planer? I'm the 'planer', and these are what I use...

Neat tool, John. 

When it comes to most hand tools, new or old, it's always something new to this electron killer.

Other than a pair of pliers and occasionally, a screwdriver, hand tool use is foreign to me. 

Just kidding....but not a lot.

Gene
'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

Archived