Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

Hi Folks,

Its been several months since I last posted. We got moved and started the new job, Now that the house is unpacked, I have started setting up the new shop. I decided to take it slow and do some much neglected maintenance on each of my tools as I go along. Last weekend it was time for Lathe Maintenance. I had decided to replace the belt as the other was the original and had developed a memory leading to two humps in the belt which in turn created a wobble / vibration during turning. I bought one of those vibration-less link belts. All was going good till I took off the old belt, then it all went to heck.

The motor side pulley slammed closed as the belt came off. I failed to recognize that the pulley was two parts , one side fixed and one side under tension. As I attempted to pry apart the two parts, the fixed side shattered into several pieces (dozen or so).

I assume that since the lathe is variable speed, the motor side pulley expands or contracts (in turn adjusting the diameter of the pulley from 1 to 3 inches) as the speed is adjusted?

My lathe is the predecessor to the grizzly 462 (according to the techs, only the tail stock changed, so the headstock side parts should be the same). So here's my question(s)

Should I only replace the broken pulley or should I go ahead and replace all the parts along the motor shaft?

What would you do?

When it comes to mechanical, I'm not the best guy to work on it, So before I make any purchases or commit, I like to get several opinions.

Here's a link to the schematic for reference

http://cdn0.grizzly.com/partslists/g0462_pl.pdf   The part that has to be replaced is number 9, But I am wondering if I should go ahead and replace 17 through 24?

Thanks

Kevin

Kevin Wells
Chuckin' Wood
www.chuckinwood.com

Kevin,

Those reeves pulleys are notorious for breaking and being noisy. I am dreading the day the one on my Delta lathe breaks because that particular one isn't available any longer.

Probably the most expensive part in the entire mechanical series, there, will be the pulley itself. Although the other parts are probably not worn, but for a few bucks more- everything in that mechanical block will be new.

I just replaced the original belt, in my lathe, about a year ago (not the linkage type). It wasn't an easy task as you discovered. The owner's manual was not at all clear on the process. If I remember correctly, I set the speed lever to the fastest position- which opened the head stock pulley to its' widest point and then muscled the old belt off and the new one on.

I try to remember to spray a little lubricant on the shaft area where the pulleys operate. On my lathe, the speed "arm" gets a little more friction when this needs done and the lathe gets a little more noisy. I use compressed air, first, to blow away any dirt on the shafts. Spray silicon seems to work as the lube although I have read where some folks prefer a Teflon based product.

Hope this helps 

Lew Kauffman-
Wood Turners Forum Host
Rolling Pin photo crop3_zps88fb0af9.jpg?width=100
Time Traveler and Purveyor of the Universe's Finest Custom Rolling Pins!

Lew, I believe you are correct about setting the speed to the fastest. I have changed the belt on mine and I believe that is what I did also.

I would probably go ahead and replace the mechanism and it will all be the same and balanced good.

John Moody
Site Administratorning-johnmoodywoodworkslogo2-591-21.jpg?http://www.johnmoodywoodworks.com
“Don’t make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, don’t hesitate to make it beautiful.†Shaker Saying

Well I finally got the parts in. Is there any tricks or secrets to replacing these? It appears that its a matter of removing the retaining clip at the end of the motor spindle and sliding everything off. Does that sound right? I think I may video the fun or replacing it since I cant find any reference videos out there. Of coaurse if I completely screw it up, it will be a, "What not to do" video...

Well I finally got the parts in. Is there any tricks or secrets to replacing these? It appears that its a matter of removing the retaining clip at the end of the motor spindle and sliding everything off. Does that sound right? I think I may video the fun or replacing it since I cant find any reference videos out there. Of coaurse if I completely screw it up, it will be a, "What not to do" video...

There actually may be a video of some sort out there but i am not sure that it would be about your particular type of lathe.

Check the pulleys themselves and see if there is a screw hole in the edge of it that may indicate that you might have to remove some Allen screws first. Unfortunately since I don't know anything about that particular lathe, I am sorta doing this blind. If you are lucky that would be one thing to check and maybe the only thing, but there may be a key similar to a flywheel key if you know what I mean and you may have to take a rubber mallet and tap it off. There could be a retaining clip. I think I remember you saying there was at least 1 of those.

When I had to do some work on mine a couple years ago we wound up pulling 2 Allen screws and then taking a wooden mallet I had made and had to beat the crud out of it to get it off of there (you may wan to try just tapping it first LOL). The other option would be to see if there is another motor for it available or maybe buy one if that is possible. Some of them are not all that expensive.

Feel free to contact me if you think I may be able to help further. I'll sure try anyway.

Your birthday is the same as my sister's 5 years apart :)