That Tool Chest Build: We Have A Lid

Assembled and in the clamps.    Awaiting the glue to cure, then add a couple trim pieces, and a pair of hinges.  Lid was a frame (Oak, mostly) and a raised panel of pine.  Have to use what I have around the shop.   Lid's panel was glued up, then planed flat.   Needed to raise a panel, with just a handplane or three.Tried the old Jack plane, seemed a bit too large for this.   Got out a smooth plane and set it a might deep

ning-imag0188-448-13.jpg?width=750

I marked a stop line about 1" in.   Going at a diagonal to the grain,"downhill" as it were.   Get near the stop line, ease up on how deep the setting is.  Back to a smoother feels.    Clean up any marks with a small block plane

ning-imag0189-448-64.jpg?width=750

I did both end grain ends first,  then went after the long grain edges

ning-imag0190-448-50.jpg?width=750

While I was at it, gave the flat areas a going over, until it shone.    Next, needed a rebate around the inside edges.    Happen to have just the plane for that, tooning-imag0191-448-85.jpg?width=750

rather shallow, so this didn't take too long.

Got the ends done, then the long grain edges were done

ning-imag0193-448-69.jpg?width=750

Makes some nice curlie things, too.   Frame pieces had the old finish still on them, along with a few other things.    Clamped each piece into a jig on the bench, and planed off the old finish.    Of course, the other things were the witness mark to tell which tenon went where.    Re-test fit and add some Elmers

ning-imag0195-448-32.jpg?width=750

I have a VERY bright overhead light, helps these old eyes, but the camera doesn't like it.   Anyway, set this mess aside, and drag out a mitersawning-imag0197-448-10.jpg?width=750

A CORDLESS one.    Needed tomake some trim pieces. These go around the underside of the lid. They add as a dust seal.   

Trim still had that old finish, had to plane off what I could. And, find a staple....

Gave the trim pieces a place to sit, and a test fit of sorts. Hard to get a decent one with a clamp in the way

ning-imag0198-448-12.jpg?width=750

So, maybe tomorrow, I can get this finished up, add some "lost" hinges, and then figure out what trays to build.    Bottom flor of the Tool Chest #2 has been reserved for any and all drill items.    After that.....we will see.   So far, the only store bought items are a pair of hinges, and a bottle of Elmer's. Not saying I'm CHEAP, just frugal...

Planer? I'm the 'planer', and these are what I use...