Hurricane Ian

Cal

Just talked to my buddy from college and best man. He lives south central near Wauchula. Ironically he just flew out from Ft. Wayne, IN. Surprisingly he was able to get a flight to Tallahassee but was on layover at Atlanta...while talking, he thinks his flight might have just been canceled. His son told him all roads in/out of Wachula had officially been closed due to flooding and potential power lines down.

Texted my step-brother, who lives on East Coast in Melbourne. He works as civilian (retired Air Force) at AFB nearby. Base is closed through Friday. They're expecting near record storm surge with heavy rain.

Niece lives close to Sarasota. She put in supplies several days ago. Staying put...so far all is well.

19 hours ago, Grandpadave52 said:

You and @Gunny take care as well. Potential for heavy rains, storms and spawned tornadoes through central Georgia are possible as this storm moves north.

We don't need a tropical storm, but truth be told, I was hoping for some rain.  When the storm track changed to hit further south, cross Florida out into the Atlantic to veer back into the Savannah or South Carolina area I knew we wouldn't get much of anything out of it.  Earlier in the week our rain chances were about 80% Friday and Saturday, then down to 50%.  Now we are at zero percent.  We have not had any measurable rain since Sept. 6th...

Hoping our members, friends & family in the affected areas will be safe.

We lost power and internet for about 4 hours yesterday.  Some of the neighbors were bitching about it on social media.  It was caused when a USPS van was hit by a vehicle going full speed and drove it into the utility pole.  Letter carrier was air-lifted.  People in FL have a foot of rain, 12 foot storm surges, damaged property and lost power.  I'm feeling blessed.  Well, I did have one flashlight that didn't work and now I have to reset a bunch of clocks.  :P

Talked to my buddy a bit ago. Flight was changed to Ft. Lauderdale yesterday. Got in there late yesterday afternoon but experienced a good deal of turbulence. He said runway was actually dry when they landed. He lives roughly 3 hours north so he spent the night there as traveling would have put him in the middle of the storm where he lives. His area received nearly 16" of rain in a 24 hour period.

Good news no serious damage on his place but others in the area had damage. The hurricane was still at L2 status as it passed through the central part of the state.They are without power but do have a generator so refrigerator, freezer and coffee maker work. He's lived there all of his life except for the time we went to school in Nashville. He's experienced a number of hurricanes and tropical storms but said there's water standing in places he's never seen before.

Step-brother was able to get at flight out from Ft. Lauderdale late this AM to Las Vegas. His oldest daughter is getting married this weekend. AFB remains closed still through tomorrow except emergency flights.

Our daughter has a close friend that lives on Pine Island in FL. I had no idea where that is, so i looked. It's offshore from Ft. Meyers, kinda between Ft. Meyers and Sanibel Island. Anyway, Alissa sent us a message last night that both her friend and the husband were missing, they had decided to stay. Their place was right in the bullseye.

On 9/30/2022 at 7:48 AM, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

Our daughter has a close friend that lives on Pine Island in FL. I had no idea where that is, so i looked. It's offshore from Ft. Meyers, kinda between Ft. Meyers and Sanibel Island. Anyway, Alissa sent us a message last night that both her friend and the husband were missing, they had decided to stay. Their place was right in the bullseye.

Saw a video of Pine Island damage from  hurricane Ian. It's devastating. Hope your daughters friends are OK;

Yeah, we just saw that here (the Pine Island stuff) as well. Our daughter's friend and here husband survived the storm as it turns out, and their house was not as damaged as most of the others. The friend is coming to Ohio to stay with our daughter, and here husband is going to stay with some family in Michigan. They apparently have been or will be moved from the island by the CG and will then fly north. I have to admit, the information around all this is inconsistent and maybe even incoherent at times....but once they get out they will start assessing what to do next.

Archived