New to scroll sawing

Pauley

10 hours ago, Smallpatch said:

Wait, come back with that compound cutting, What it that used for?

That's cutting from two sides of a block to make a 3D figure. Cut one side, tape it back together and cut the adjacent side. A process used at the band saw for things like reindeer and other animals. But, with the scroll saw, and piercing cuts, things like small ornaments and 3D, interlocking puzzles are possible. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well what do you know about that? I been doing some compound sawing with my scroll saw and didn't even know that is what I was doing.422086574_compoundscrollsawingslatsforthesidesofbowls..jpg.c4687cdd55a65e1382da0d0c303607c5.jpg

These bowls have been sitting above my head here at the computer for a bunch of years and I didn't even know there was a name for what I was doing to make the curved slats. And don't even know if slats is what they are called!  I would saw out one  side then have to tape that side back on to where it went so I could have a flat area to slide across the scroll saw to saw out the rest of the slat.

It's a good thing I didn't have to learn all these names of things I was doing while wood working of else I might have chose to do something else with my time.

Whups, after thinking about how I made those slats.. I believe I used  the 12" bandsaw because I keep an 1/8" blade on that saw all the time and never change to any other size.. That saves me all that exact settings of every thing that moves on the band saw for it to work like it should. I have 3 band saws for that reason and it only took 20 something years to finally get the third saw....but now its worth it . 

I was going to use the scroll saw for it saws baby butt smooth every where the blades rubs but the 788 don't go that wide. Using the scroll saw I would not have had to sand either side of the slats.