It's still raining

Danl

I went to bed last evening listing to the thunder and the heavy rain fall hitting the roof.  My wife heard her cell phone beep at 5:00 am today.  It was our oldest son telling us that he purchased a portable generator at Lowes @ 4:00 am this morning and he would like it if we would do the pick-up with our pick-up.  He had lost electrical power and had been bailing water since 11:00 pm last evening and he did not see an end to it.  Lowes did not open until 6:00 am. I had stopped raining at our home so time during the night. We loaded the truck with our lawn mower gas, extension cords, flashlights, coffee, breakfast food and headed out.  We were Lowe's 1st customer.  I over heard the manager say that not everyone had reported to work yet.  I'm sure not having electrical power and water in basements had something to do with this.  We loaded the truck with the generator and headed over to my son's home.  He was glad to see us.  While doing the start-up steps in getting the generator going, he had to stop to bail more water.  After helping him clean his gutters, we left for our home.  It was pouring rain the entire time we were in his area.  We could not travel out the way we came in.  The road was flooded approx. 2 miles from my son's house.  So we took an alternative way out.  It was not raining at our home, 20 miles away.  I was glad we were able to help him.  His neighbor was pulling an extension cord to the generator when we left.  There are many folks in this area not as fortunate and are loosing much of what they own.

Danl

Thank you all for your concerns and prayers.  My son and his wife only lost a day of work and what ever the generator cost.  He knew that when it rains, the sump pump is needed.  His new neighbor, not so smart.  Two houses up the street, they just moved in to their home.  They were told that the sump pump in their home has a backup system.  They did not go down to the basement until after it was to late.  No backup system.  I assume it may of had a battery backup.  They had 3 in of water in the basement.  My son learned his lesson last year when his pump quit working.  See pics.  Danl

IMG_4051-1.jpg.d91ce972c94dc57384e864867c31c169.jpgIMG_4052-1.jpg.8a5efce31a37f8e782e5c1cd78d74977.jpg

On 8/6/2022 at 7:29 AM, Cal said:

Danl, this was all last Thursday.  Any follow up?  Sure hope that no posts are a good thing here...

I have not talked to my son since Thursday, but I am sure all is well at his house.  He bailed water for 7 hrs until the generator arrived and he was without electricity for 27 hrs.  I and his wife knew that they could come to our home for a cool time, but someone had to keep an eye of the generator and sump pump,  I'm sure it was a hot day and night without the A/C running.  I do not know anymore about his neighbor.  Thanks for asking.  Danl

18 minutes ago, John Morris said:

@Danl, was there damage this time around, should insurance get involved?

My son did not have any damage this time.  The pics are from last yr and he did get his insurance company involved then.  At that time, it was difficult to find someone that wanted to fix a small ($) problem.  He found someone who would cutout the damaged carpet and install new carpet.  Dad and lad did all of the carpentry work.  Thanks for asking and for your concern.   Danl

Archived