Safety First

HARO50

1 hour ago, HARO50 said:

Translation: His co-workers voted Hubert the best-dressed lathe operator in the firm.

Manufacturing company I worked for required men wear ties working  in office as well as front line supervisors and up on the shop floor. That requirement specifically stated, CLIP-ON ties only. Thankfully they finally eliminated that requirement. I hated wearing a tie...still hate it.

You see pre-WWII photos all the time of workers in vests and ties.

image.png.8e3f7b93cb8b24b2ceef191bc53a0455.png

One of the club members ran some (simulated) tests of using gloves with a table saw.  His conclusion was that if a glove got caught in a blade, it would really pull you hand in much more than if it was just a bare hand.

My wife has been doing volunteer work at Children's Hospital in their sewing room.  One of the things they make is upper garments with Velcro so that if a patient gets violent and grabs a staff member, it is a "tear away".

They also approached the theater group that my daughter and granddaughters are in.  They wanted some of the children to come in and behave "violently" to see how the staff reacted and perhaps train them better.  The actors came in incognito and were limited in what they could do -- no hitting, but could yell and throw things, for example.  Perhaps for liability reasons, it never took off.

Archived