Brace and Bits

StaticLV2

• 2 weeks later...

Performance in hard wood (Beech) for the wood owl bits is excellent.  I have been drilling holes for the knockdown hardware on my bench today and 1/2 and 3/4” holes are straight, clean, and fairly easy.  I have been using a combination square for alignment and freehanding these so far but I think I will need to make a guide block in the near future because my eyeball seems to be off about 1/32 to 1/16th over 5”.  It isn’t enough to matter but it is enough to annoy me.

Here are the 3/4” holdfast holes in the Front Left leg of the workbench build.

I can’t say enough good about these Wood Owl auger bits.  They are well made, cut easily and cleanly.

I will definitely be picking up some more of these in additional sizes.  The only real thing to be aware of with these is that with 3 cutters you will need a narrower file to sharpen these bits.  I picked one up and I will likely have opportunity to use it as I have a large number of 3/4” holes to drill in this bench.  I will review that when I get there but initial impressions, its an auger bit file, just narrower.

I haven’t been able to get any definitive specs on depth of cut per revolution but I will try to figure that out.

The 10” Stanley 2101A is great for anything up to 3/4” after that it seems to be a lot like work.

Eventually I will likely pick up a 12” if I can find one for a decent price, because mechanical advantage :)

0D7B2BD4-FA0F-495B-8701-E5CF8A7123A6.jpeg