Just Curious About...

Grandpadave52

On 3/4/2022 at 7:34 PM, HARO50 said:

As of 6:00 pm, Gas around here was around $1.75 a liter, or $7.95 a US gallon! Since our CanuckBuck is worth about 75 cents US, that would be roughly $5.96 US. Consider yourselves lucky!

Goofed on that one! :blush: I worked it out to IMPERIAL gallons by mistake. It should have been $6.62 Canuckbucks/ $4.97 USD per gallon. Currently $5.25.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, HARO50 said:
On 3/4/2022 at 7:34 PM, HARO50 said:

As of 6:00 pm, Gas around here was around $1.75 a liter, or $7.95 a US gallon! Since our CanuckBuck is worth about 75 cents US, that would be roughly $5.96 US. Consider yourselves lucky!

Goofed on that one! :blush: I worked it out to IMPERIAL gallons by mistake. It should have been $6.62 Canuckbucks/ $4.97 USD per gallon. Currently $5.25

Keep the OP handy John. Won't be long before you can recycle it.. My guess it will be at that price sooner than later.:(

1 hour ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Keep the OP handy John. Won't be long before you can recycle it.. My guess it will be at that price sooner than later.:(

Got a note from a friend on the west coast today. Gas in Vancouver is already at $2.00 a liter! $5.68 a USG!!!

19 hours ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Saw on a newsfeed, stations (Walmart anyway) in Tuscon were out of gas? IDK if supply unavailable or lack of transportation services?

To my knowledge, there's just that one Walmart selling gas in Tucson. And it's not in a very convenient location. I'm not aware of any others out of gas. We drove through Tucson yesterday, from the western edge of town to the eastern edge and, back. We saw 'no out of gas' signs. 

Tucson is the gas supply depot for AZ. We'll probably be one of the last places to run out. If any station is out, someone forgot to check the tank levels. 

On a side note, on our foray yesterday, Sunday, the traffic was the heaviest I've seen for a non workday. Apparently, gas prices aren't keeping all the cars in the garages. 

Our Fusion Hybrid has been averaging around 50 MPG. When we bought it in 2016, no one was too concerned about the price of gas then @ around $2.10. We're glad now, that we bought it. Now, if that '03 250 V10 would just get half that! :angry:

Yesterday the first station in our area went to $4.09. The rest of them followed this morning. There is one strangler still at $3.78, but it's a truck stop out of the main traffic flow...I imagine they'll get there. Our car has an "Eco" driving mode that's supposed to save gas (?). I turned it on for the first time ever this morning.

I was thinking back to the mid 70s when gas went to (at that time) unreasonable high prices thanks to OPEC. At the time I was car pooling to work with a friend, and we would meet at a shopping center. Which ever car we didn't go in stayed at the center until our work day was over. Then there was a rash of gas thefts at that very center, the thieves would siphon cars dry during the day. I bought a locking gas cap for my car. Then later I heard that cars with locking gas caps still had the gas stolen, the thieves would punch a hole in the gas tank and catch the gas. :BlackCloud: I guess today stealing cell phones from stores is more profitable....at least at the moment. Sorry to get sidetracked, just reminiscing.

1 hour ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

I guess today stealing cell phones from stores is more profitable....at least at the moment.

Catalytic converters are a commodity on the scrap market too.  They can probably steal one of those quicker than siphoning a gas tank and make.  Some of those are worth hundreds.

4 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

the thieves would punch a hole in the gas tank and catch the gas.

About 2-3 weeks back a couple was apprehended in a local mall at night doing just that. And gas-and-dash thefts have gone through the roof lately. :angry:

1 hour ago, kmealy said:

Some idiot posted yesterday that they were looking for used motor oil to add to their gas tank to help reduce the cost of driving.  Sounds like a great idea.

He saw it on the INTERNET.  Post to him and tell him used oil has tiny pieces of bearing wear in it which contain lead and his car uses unleaded gas.

5 hours ago, kmealy said:

Some idiot posted yesterday that they were looking for used motor oil to add to their gas tank to help reduce the cost of driving.  Sounds like a great idea.

When I was a kid, back in IL, a neighbor had a Plymouth of undetermined age that burned more oil than gas. He could've used that car as mosquito repellent.:( 

Archived