A slow week here in our turner's forum.

Our Patriot Turners-

What’s Coming Up-

Click on the following images for links to more information-

645501901_2022-01-2618_22_34-Window.png.87a41ca3a1f899de36802ec2cb390287.png

From the AAW-

901220027_2022-01-2618_25_05-Window.png.324c8e49be1292525af7543e27150492.png

For The Newbies-

Sanding our turnings is time consuming. Changing disks on the Velcro sanding pads just adds to the delay. I know @Gerald has a sanding disk for each grit and that can save some time. It also saves some wear and tear on the Velcro. Here's a video showing shop made sanding disk holders-

Wooden scoops are always a nice addition to the kitchen. Here Richard Raffan shows us how he does them-

Check out his YouTube channel for more turning videos-

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2tEGrCP1GiVwfaT4K9bcNw

Tracey Malady demonstrates the versatility of the Easy Wood Tools, @Jim from Easy Wood Tools,  carbide cutters as she turns finials- 

Expand Your Horizons-

A neat tip from Lyle Jamieson on how to keep lighter colored sapwood from darkening-

Alan Stratton demonstrates some shop made jigs for creating turnings with eccentric patterns-

Our local PBS station is always a little behind the rest of the country, especially when it comes to woodworking shows. This past Saturday, Jimmy Clewes was featured turning his signature platter. The episode is available for purchase at-

https://www.woodsmithshop.com/episodes/season15/1511/

New Turning Items-

With the Virtual AAW Symposium taking place, I am hoping there will be some new turning tools/equipment introduced. Guess we will have to wait and see.

Everything Else-

Rick Turns list of YouTube woodturning videos from last week-

In preparation for each week's "Wednesday's...", I spend some time searching for informative videos. Some come from YouTube. I noticed recently that the YouTube users rating system seemed different. The "Thumbs Up" choice is listing the number of positive responses. The "Thumbs Down" choice doesn't show any negative votes. Thinking this was a little odd, I went searching for the reason. If you are interested in understanding the change-

https://youtu.be/f1Izh3-c88Y

Could this be a carryover from the "everybody gets a trophy" generation??

Safe turning and stay well

Edited by lew

4 hours ago, lew said:

Could this be a carryover from the "everybody gets a trophy" generation??

Could be but I put my money it has to do with view numbers.  If I go to a video and it has more dislikes than likes I assume is isn't worth my time and I don't view it.  YouTube pays channel owners on number of views and also charge advertisers on number of views.  So when viewing numbers go up guess who makes more money.

@Gunny Thank You!

@Gerald Thank You! Great looking scoop. I made some years ago but used the bandsaw to cut open the hollowed section. I like this sanding method much better. Seems safer and less likely to grab the turning.

@HandyDan Thank You! Your thoughts on the YouTube thumbs down are probably closer to the truth. I am the same way when it came to selecting videos to check out.

Well, as usual, I am late to the party.  Loved the video on the lemon juice treatment.  I would have loved to see his results of a piece he treated 6 months ago, another 12 months ago, another 18 months ago to see how the wood changed over that time.  

Also enjoyed the one on finials and the other one on making a scoop.  @Gerald, that is a fantastic looking scoop.  I have some River Bark tree?  Not sure that is the correct name.  A neighbor moved out and gave me 2 pieces, so thought of making one scoop and maybe a pepper mill for them.  Do you think that this wood would be suitable for those projects?  

21 hours ago, FlGatorwood said:

Well, as usual, I am late to the party.  Loved the video on the lemon juice treatment.  I would have loved to see his results of a piece he treated 6 months ago, another 12 months ago, another 18 months ago to see how the wood changed over that time.  

Also enjoyed the one on finials and the other one on making a scoop.  @Gerald, that is a fantastic looking scoop.  I have some River Bark tree?  Not sure that is the correct name.  A neighbor moved out and gave me 2 pieces, so thought of making one scoop and maybe a pepper mill for them.  Do you think that this wood would be suitable for those projects?  

Yes should work but this is a very white and would need color or other embellishments. At least it would for me. By the way River Birch.

Ok, did an internet search and found two names.  They may be 2 different trees but it appears that the common name is River Birch.  I did find one with River Bark Birch.  In the pictures, they appear to be the same tree.  After reading, I don't think I want one in my yard or even near me.  I may put one near the fenceline to annoy my neighbor.  :throbbinghead:

15 hours ago, FlGatorwood said:

Ok, did an internet search and found two names.  They may be 2 different trees but it appears that the common name is River Birch.  I did find one with River Bark Birch.  In the pictures, they appear to be the same tree.  After reading, I don't think I want one in my yard or even near me.  I may put one near the fenceline to annoy my neighbor.  :throbbinghead:

These are short lived trees and one distinction is that the bark peals naturally. It is fairly fast growing and has a clumping behavior so rarely see only one trunk.