Upgrading my lathe - larger diameter, short bed

Bob Hodge

Well, this is a big deal. I've gone many years with my midi-Jet, limited in bowl size to 12 inches.

I have announced that a new lathe will be my retirement gift to myself.  I want a big hurkin lathe

to make big hurkin bowls and platters, and a few vessels.  I have little interest in spindle turning

beyond finials for vessels. 

What I don't want and hardly have the space and money for is the long bed that comes with larger diameter

lathes.  Looking at Laguna, Powermatic, Grizzly, Rikon, I just see really long beds.  

I seem to remember seeing a lathe to accommodate large diameter with a short bed but cannot find it now.

I imagine I am not the first with these two parameters - large diameter -18-20 inches, short bed.  An alternative

is turning outboard of the bed and that might be a consideration. I would appreciate your wisdom

and practical advice on lathes that do that, simply.  I watched the Laguna video today for the 1836

to see that it would require a heavy and expensive extension and some other stuff to increase the diameter

of the bowl. I see how that works yet it would then take half a wall of my 400 sf shop.

So, once again, I turn to this group for excellent advice and experience.  Thanks, as always

Thanks for these fast responses. I will look at Robust as that is a new name to me, and I don't see it in some of the reviews or "Top 10" articles.

I now see where Powermatic has a short bed lathe. I remember seeing that several years ago, and I remember dismissing it quite early as being 

out of my price range.  I may have to adjust my maximum diameter a bit. That takes me to the Laguna 1836 or similar.

Where is that 80+ year old guy that is downsizing his shop that had one of these bigger lathes?  I guess there is that consideration of how big a blank I want to be hefting on to a lathe.

Gerald, you are always the wisdom that I look for.  I agree that few bowls or plates get much bigger than 12. Still, I have been offered a lot of nice wood from which I could get a 14 or 16 inch platter or bowl and I always feel bad about having to cut it back.  I then tend to overwork my little midi-lathe, taking it past its limits or safety limits.  It would not end well.  

Thanks for these two other recommendations on lathes and sources for used equipment.

Yes, I am in the $3,000 to $3800 range as I know there will be a lot of additional expenses for rests, chuck, and other to ramp up to something beefier than what I have. 

27 minutes ago, Bob Hodge said:

Yes, I am in the $3,000 to $3800 range as I know there will be a lot of additional expenses for rests, chuck, and other to ramp up to something beefier than what I have. 

As to chucks you can get adapters to go from 1 to 1.25. Note these will add a little runout but usually not a problem. As a temporary fix till you can afford the 150 plus for larger chucks. Also tool rests are something you can add gradually as you change what you are turning to heavier or smaller items.

• 4 weeks later...

I am still pursuing this, and thanks for your help.  

Last week, I did some math as I was hoisting a 12 inch by 6 inch wet walnut blank to my midi - lathe.  I did the math to determine the difference in volume and weight of a 12 inch blank versus a 15 inch blank of the same height.  Add three inches and increase the weight by possibly 65%.  There is no way I would, could or should be trying to turn a blank that is 20 inches, or maybe even 18.  I do see the Laguna 1524 can add an extension to turn a 22 inch blank without with just the live center.  A video says that might be suitable for a platter as I believe it would tax the motor, and I would be hesitant to turn something that large with only one center.

All to say that I have downsized my thinking a bit to 15/16 diameter, shorter bed, with some option to somehow turn an outboard larger platter.  That seems to fit my price range better, allow for some more and advanced tools, and save my back which has become about as important as all the technical specs.  Same reason a sales guy talked me down from a Unisaw to a cabinet saw when I told him what I wanted to do with it.  

Looking for good sales in the next couple months, maybe at some wood shows if they will have them.

Thanks for helping me think this through.