Just how hard is it to turn and assemble a pepper mill?

Fred W. Hargis Jr

They are not that difficult but they do use odd size bits. To get around the bit thing which only applies to the bottom where the grinder goes. So just use a bit that is the next closest size to the metric, but not oversize. You may need to carve a little to get the ears in place where the screws will go.  The center does not matter as that is where the pepper will be and as to the top there is the through hole and the matting very top is lathe turned to size. Another little thing is you will need a probably 6 inch or 3 inch extension for the Forstner.

There are plenty of good videos to watch on this topic. This is the Craft Supplies video. As I have noted you can work around that expensive exact fit bit.

Turning a Deluxe Peppermill

Edited by Gerald

17 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

I was told by another member of our household (which only has 2 people and a small dog) that we need a pepper mill to experience fresh ground pepper on our food. You can guess who told me that.

The small dog wants to try pepper now?  :D

Where is @AndrewB when we need him?

Good luck with it Fred.  After those matching spindles you did a while back this should be a piece of cake for you.

@Fred W. Hargis Jr If you decide to go with the crush grind mechanism, having (or making) a tool like this will facilitate cutting the required grove. Woodcraft used to sell these but I couldn't find on their site-

1455929701_2021-08-0911_25_21-3_4_RobertSorby895CGHCrushGrindTool--Amazon_com.png.3df7f0c20e22591cc4c7a3ef7f7f1b0e.png

https://www.amazon.com/Robert-Sorby-895CGH-Crush-Grind/dp/B00JMJKML2/ref=pd_lpo_3?pd_rd_i=B00JMJKML2&psc=1

OK, Lew....I ordered a kit from the Chefware site (I was a little put off with the shipping costs, but Craft Supply was out of the kits) and then I also ordered a drill bit extension. The Chefware kit is USA (so is Craft Supply) which made the ordering the shipping a little easier to swallow. Chef ware had a video and it seems I have everything else, except maybe that nice cone tailstock center he used. Thanks to all for the suggestions...oh, it's not the crush grind type that I ordered. If  don't make too big a fool out of myself making this thing I'll be back with pics. I have a piece of peach that I may try to use (don't know how dry it is), otherwise I may be searching for a piece of wood.

On 8/9/2021 at 10:28 AM, lew said:

@Fred W. Hargis Jr If you decide to go with the crush grind mechanism, having (or making) a tool like this will facilitate cutting the required grove. Woodcraft used to sell these but I couldn't find on their site-

1455929701_2021-08-0911_25_21-3_4_RobertSorby895CGHCrushGrindTool--Amazon_com.png.3df7f0c20e22591cc4c7a3ef7f7f1b0e.png

https://www.amazon.com/Robert-Sorby-895CGH-Crush-Grind/dp/B00JMJKML2/ref=pd_lpo_3?pd_rd_i=B00JMJKML2&psc=1

Zowie would have to sell a lot of that type to justify that new tool.

32 minutes ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

I've hit a small snag with my pepper mill....Fedex. I thought I had all I needed to make it only to find I didn't have a 1 1/16" Forstner bit for the through hole in the body. No problem, I ordered one. Then Fedex stepped in. Not as bad as the circuitous route Lew posted, but it's wondering around in the Midwest as I type this; it was supposed to be here last Thursday. Anyway, I did get my practice blank in the lathe and turned round, it's ash and turned very nicely. But now I'm on hold, maybe the bit will show up tomorrow, it's in Chicago right now.

Edit: Oh, Crap....I just became a "rising star"; someone ought to re think that.:Laughing:

Penn State Industries also has these https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKSANDP.html  they actually fit together quite nicely.  With the diameter of the through drill I mean the fit up is so well they can be held in with pressure.  Some epoxy for the top caps but rubber stoppers on the bottom end of the shakers.  I just recenetly did 2 of these considering making more with resin.

Looking forward to pictures and a PIP of the peppermill.  I used freshly ground pepper when I cook and the grandchildren prefer it to the powder pepper you find in the stores.  Fred, good luck with any FedEx shipping.  Every delivery system is stretched to the max at the moment.  They can't get good help.  Or, keep it.