Larry Buskirk

Friday July 30th 2021-What's on Your Weekend Agenda?

Rate this topic

46 minutes ago, Gunny said:

If you are putting t belt back on turn by Hand say, 2-3 revolutions.  If it turns you could skip test and just crank it. If it runs good, no problem. If it skips isolate that cylinder and check compression. If will not start then you need to check each cylinder. Now if it will not turn at some point go other direction. If same result, that would be bad. I have done 3-4 with broke belts on that 3.5 engine. All ran after replacement.

I've got the belt and idler out of the Ridgeline. Was going to use them to do the air pressure leak down test before getting more parts.

Don't know if I should trust any of the parts from that first kit. <_<

Gene you said that about air pressure with pvc can't handle much air pressure.  The next time you are in a lumber yard or HD or Lowes take a piece of paper and pencil with you and jot down what a 1/2" and 3/4" and 1"is rated for then come back on line and tell us what you found?

I have two brands in my shop for future use and and both brands states the same pressures.

1" PVC sch 40 is rated at 450 psi at 73 degrees of weather

3/4" PVC sch 40 is rated a 480 psi at 73  degrees of weather

1/2" PVC sch 40 is rated at 600 psi at 73 degresss of weather

"What I'm wondering is where you found an air compressor that would blow any one of these sizes of pipe. My 2 stage compressor cuts off under 200 psi and a single stage compressor cuts off about 120 to 140.  All pvc pipe is rated at 73 degrees for that is what most all pipe buried in the ground will see at the highest temp. But now in the cold north in the winter one should burry their PVC way down there to be safe!!  

Also lately I have read where a guy said they were probably buying cheap pvc from a dealer that was getting their pipe from cheap places and thats the reason for all the folks getting hurt. 

Most all the garage owners tried to use 3" PVC sch 40 where I sold tools for much more air volume when they had a few more mechanics but the problem was after applying the pvc glue then trying to push it all the way together before the glue would set was about impossible by just using two people twisting and pushing and a group of people on each end could never work together that quickly. Me being involved using pvc sch 40 started in about 1965 and probably earlier and I have never had any air line I was involved with to come apart. And for sure I have never heard of any exploding like some here have told about.

Now if a person is thinking of Scuba diving gear or Scot Air Packs for fire fighters this a complete different animal for their air pressure in their tanks are any where from 3000 to 4500 psi depending on the models. We filled our own air tanks at the fire dept and the compressor is totally different than an air compressor garages and body shops have as is home compressors but Scuba gear and fire fighters don't have to use long lines of Pvc sch 40 going underground like I have going in all directions here at the lake I installed underground right after I cleared the land for the house and garage and work shop and I run a line under ground to the walk way of the dock for later maintenance.

Jesse, age and heat will degrade PVC within a couple years. So will sun light. Running it undergound eliminates much those things. Knew a guy that owned a tire shop up north. He went cheap with sked 40 PVC. The second summer, she blew. Of course, it was often well over 73 degrees in there with lots of sun through those bay doors. Normal pressure was around 200 PSI all day. His brother ran a plumbing shop and had advised him to use PEX. He ended up with PEX! 

Edited by Gene Howe

Yard Sales this morning...was on the look out for a TV to replace the one the GrandBRAT broke.....found that.    A "BRAVIA" for $20......

Found a white plastic tub today with this sign on it..

123425168_YardSalefindsnicesign.JPG.e2d4892d6c420e61f22a8d58e74a6e28.JPG

So, got it home, and tossed out the junky stuff, and still had...

410678744_YardSalefindsaugust30.JPG.8080b198f073c1040d3e50a983ffd186.JPG

Well, the claw hammer...was a FUBAR..

1129202965_YardSalefindssaveortoss.JPG.25fe80e7a20fe220907e20b75feabbf7.JPG

When the striking face is a Mushroom...off to the trash it goes....handle had more cracks than a city sidewalk...

Went shopping for a new clothes dryer....it will be delivered next Monday...and the pile of junk that was the old one will get hauled away..minus the cord, of course.    New dryers do NOT come with their own cords...

Shop time today? Nada.  Oh well...see how tomorrow goes..

2 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

Jesse, age and heat will degrade PVC within a couple years. So will sun light. Running it undergound eliminates much those things. Knew a guy that owned a tire shop up north. He went cheap with sked 40 PVC. The second summer, she blew. Of course, it was often well over 73 degrees in there with lots of sun through those bay doors. Normal pressure was around 200 PSI all day. His brother ran a plumbing shop and had advised him to use PEX. He ended up with PEX! 

Very true with the temp issue.  One thing my Dad noticed with his small set up was that the exposed PVC got whacked on by different things and of course cracked.  Learning from this I put my CPVC inside the walls and transitioned to a metal coupler when I came out to install the coupler.  Solid bracing is recommended, I didn't on a couple of them and had to go back and fix that mistake.

I would switch to PEX as it is convenient and flexible.  Maybe next shop.  For the moment the budget says stick with the supplies you have on hand.  LOL

12 hours ago, Gunny said:

Working on cleats to install under steps for staircase to roof.  Paint work expected to be done this weekend.

Next project up is to run a air supply line from shop to finishing room. Has to be buried. Largest obstacle is a 40 inch walkway it must go underneath.  That promises to be a fun excavation project.

Son comes in tonight from Alabama. Tomorrow evening we get to put timing belt on my PT Cruiser. 

Dig a hole on each side and drive a pipe larger than the air connection (with one end plugged) under the walk. Then run air line in pipe.

@Larry Buskirk you left the grenades out of Squirrels jaw pouches. Always there you just have to look.

Had a full day with two doctors appointments. Then out to lunch with the wife. This afternoon filled a couple holes where plants removed. Then work on adding a vacum connection at my carving station. Got the parts laid out and now have to put it all together and cut into old vacum lines. Last thing was to install cover over the exposed sewage line which was covered by hedge. Pictures at 10.