Boat Life

Masonsailor

During the summer months our habit has been to spend 3 or four days a week on the boat. It gives us a chance to escape the heat here in Las Vegas and spend time with the grandkids. I try to spend one of those days every week doing boat maintenance. This week it was removing the heat exchanger on the Detroit diesel. The process involves tearing it down and then taking it to a shop I have been using for years to do the acid bath and bead blasting to clean it all up. This is a fairly large shop and usually there are four or five guys working. Yesterday I walked in and the only person in the shop was Brad the owner. When I asked him where everyone was he informed me they all have quit and are claiming unemployment benefits. He tried hiring new help and they work just long enough to be eligible for unemployment benefits and then quit. This is crazy stuff. 
Paul

A lot of people on Welfare that have free cell phones so they can stay connected and be job ready.  Call them up and let them know jobs are available.  We have factories with help wanted signs out front.  I don't get it, something needs done and now.

2 hours ago, Al B said:

I always said, a boat is a hole in the water that you pour your money into. Yes, it's time for people to get back to work. No more free lunch.

The other famous saying is that the two happiest days in a boat owner's life is the day he buys it and the day he sells it.

I read an article this morning that Amazon has a tremendous turn over in their warehouse staff.  Most are gone in a year.   And they're happy with that, as they don't have to give raises and people's productivity does not decline with extended time on the job.

Yahoo Mail - The Morning_ Inside an Amazon warehouse.pdf

Fortunately we will not have to sell her in our lifetime. 10 Forward has been in the family a long time and my son has agreed to continue on with her. Selling a boat right now is not an option anyway. Our friends were selling their boat but had to pull it off the market. They are threatening a retroactive 44% capitol gains tax. That coupled with a 10% brokers commission means they would be giving up over half the value of their boat upon sale. 
Paul

20 hours ago, kmealy said:

The other famous saying is that the two happiest days in a boat owner's life is the day he buys it and the day he sells it.

I read an article this morning that Amazon has a tremendous turn over in their warehouse staff.  Most are gone in a year.   And they're happy with that, as they don't have to give raises and people's productivity does not decline with extended time on the job.

Yahoo Mail - The Morning_ Inside an Amazon warehouse.pdf 320.09 kB · 1 download

On the inside I was crying like a baby when I sold the boat.

• 1 month later...

I haven’t posted in a while. We have been super busy working on the boat. Mostly it has been the teak deck which we have been at for three weeks now. Woodworking of a very labor intensive variety on our hands and knees sanding and replacing plugs. The heat hasn’t helped much. The fore deck is now completed and ready for finish. It represents about 60% of the square footage. 
Paul

D732035F-92AD-423D-AD47-C981B8D40CB8.jpeg

09CDD429-EA2E-443F-9100-77109F2B34F1.jpeg

53747BE6-D4E9-45FE-9131-946365E1E0F8.jpeg

E5D5C09E-1DBC-4759-B07E-370115AAEEF3.jpeg

I know there’s a joke here, poop deck came to mind, but that looks to be such an amount of work, that maybe your sense of humor might be in short supply. I wouldn’t want you to have to sail all the way to Bahsten to give me a whack in the head. Tis beautiful when done, but that’s a ^$$&* of work.

Archived