Reassessment of portable drills

Ron Altier

18 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

Ron, you might be able to find aftermarket batteries for the PC at about 1/2 the price of the OEM. I've bought some of these aftermarket batteries for my Milwaukee stuff and truthfully for a hobbyist they are just as good. Here's one I found at the 'zon.

Very timely Fred, thanks!

I stopped at Ohio Powertool last week in Columbus, but didn't pull the trigger for a new battery.  Glad I didn't.  I will try one of these ;)

Batteries+Bulbs or similar places will rebuild batteries with new cells.  It's been so long since I did it (with NiCads) that I don't remember how the price compared to new batteries.  But at the time, I found I could buy a new drill with charger and batteries for little more than 2 replacement batteries.

18 hours ago, kmealy said:

Batteries+Bulbs or similar places will rebuild batteries with new cells.  It's been so long since I did it (with NiCads) that I don't remember how the price compared to new batteries.  But at the time, I found I could buy a new drill with charger and batteries for little more than 2 replacement batteries.

8 hours ago, Gerald said:

You can rebuild that PC battery. Replacement cells are less than 20 . I rebuilt mine maybe 3 times and finally got a new one  with lithium batteries.

The last time I checked (with B+B) the cost to rebuild the two NiCads was nearly the same as buying a whole new kit with Li batts.

I only have one large battery for my Milwaukee trimmer & leaf blower.  It works good, but I can tell it's not what it used to be.  My usual routine is to trim first until the batt dies, let it cool off and then put it on the charger while I mow the lawn.  Usually by then it is fully charged and I can blow the driveway, walkway and my neighbors driveway off.  It is usually about done after that.  A second battery will be useful.  The one I now have is 4-5 years old.