How far would you go?

Rate this topic

To get a/another shopsmith?

Was checking out a local on-line auction last night and seen that they have a Shopsmith listed.

https://bid.bidderone.com/lot-details/index/catalog/27185/lot/4095368?url=%2Fauctions%2Fcatalog%2Fid%2F27185%3Fpage%3D1

Looks to be complete with a lot of accessories.

A lot of tools in this sale, which generally translates to higher prices.

This is a fairly local sale to me so I will be going over during the inspection.

If anyone is interested I would be happy to take more pics and ask about it, although anything short of "does it power up" will likely be met with a shrug.

7 hours ago, HandyDan said:

Here is one for sale near me.  Says it was purchased in 1955.

https://youngstown.craigslist.org/tls/d/youngstown-shop-smith/7300268931.html

That looks like an overpriced 10ER.     

Most more advanced Mark Vs go for $400-500 with one or two add on tools (band saw, belt sander, or jointer).  Despite the fact they were 4-5x that new.  Lots of widows and heirs need to get rid of them.

3 hours ago, kmealy said:

Most more advanced Mark Vs go for $400-500 with one or two add on tools (band saw, belt sander, or jointer).  Despite the fact they were 4-5x that new.  Lots of widows and heirs need to get rid of them.

That's this area.  Here is a saw that has been for sale 22 days.  Can you see why it hasn't sold?

https://youngstown.craigslist.org/tls/d/youngstown-10-sears-craftsman-band-saw/7291880655.html

23 hours ago, John Morris said:

For a complete nice SS with upgraded table, and the right price, I'd go a couple hundred miles.

You looking to buy Cal?

No John.  Just posted it up in the event there might be some interest in it.  I will be watching to see what it sells for though.

15 hours ago, kmealy said:

Are they 10er's or 10e.

IIRC 10er's were sold by Montgomery Wards, & 10e by Shopsmith.

Again IIRC.

I had one prior to the move (10er ?). Gave it away. Now wish I kept it so I could get rid of the HF lathe and then would have not only a lathe but a backup table saw. Oh well!!!

A friend of mine says 10ERs make superb drill presses.  The SS factory used to have a number of them working in their shop as drill presses.

Someone donated a Sears band saw (much larger than the one in the ad).  In investigating, it had pot metal "bearings" that were just shot.

3 hours ago, smitty10101 said:

Are they 10er's or 10e.

Don't know about the U.S., but my 10ER was purchased direct from Shopsmith. (We don't have Montgomery Wards in Canada). Certainly not back in 1952!

Edited by HARO50
20 hours ago, FlGatorwood said:

The one in Youngstown is in excellent condition but I could not see a speed control on it.  

The 10ER we have at the furniture bank has speed control by swapping the belt to different sized pulleys.  (Same as many drill presses)

11 hours ago, smitty10101 said:

Are they 10er's or 10e.

Again IIRC.

I had one prior to the move (10er ?). Gave it away. Now wish I kept it so I could get rid of the HF lathe and then would have not only a lathe but a backup table saw. Oh well!!!

The Mark II was built especially for Monkey Ward and sold by them.  The 10E was the first unit and after a short time, they revised the 10 to 10 ER.  BTW, you don't want to even consider the Mark II.  They make a fair boat anchor.  

On 4/7/2021 at 9:20 AM, smitty10101 said:

Now wish I kept it so I could get rid of the HF lathe and then would have not only a lathe but a backup table saw. Oh well!!!

Here's your chance Smitty to replace it!  Hilton Head is about 4 hours away, but if the price is right...:)

That is the 500 model.  I have 2 of them.  The table is smaller than the 505, 510 and 520.  The 510 and 520 have the same size tables but the rails in back and front are different.  The 505, I am not really familiar with so I won't attempt to speak to it.  Most of these machines as pictured can be had for $500 or less.  The scroll/jigsaw looks in good condition.  So, to deal with this, you walk up with $400 in one pocket and pull it out and carefully count it.  If he/she indicates they will take less, as how much for cash.  The pull out a $50 from another pocket to see if that works.  If you must pull out the 2nd $50, inform them that is all you have.  Normally, it is a deal.  

They do come on the used market a lot. It’s amazing how many were sold. When we left on our sailing trip I sold several of them along with everything else. When I started up the new shop I started monitoring CL for SS’s and the volume of them on the market in LA/Orange county was amazing. I gathered up six of them within about 3-4 weeks. Three of them were free and were from estate sales. At a certain point they just wanted them gone. One of them saddened me. It was a 510 complete with the SPT’s and all still in their boxes and had never been assembled. Keep your eye out for the estate sales. 
Paul