Design questions

kmealy

I was digging through the wood storage looking for something to do.   I found a "kit" of a hall table that I got at an auction many years ago.   The maple top is rounded on the front edge and straight on the back, sort of "D" shaped.   Also is a skirt  that is similarly shaped, but only runs across the front.  I opened the stretch-wrapped package of legs (cherry) to what I expected to be 4 legs and there are only 3. So the questions are:

1) Should I make another leg or do something like this, one on each end and one in the center?  (there is no bottom shelf in the kit)
image.png.6ef18be54c1cbb33544db122ebb7fe01.png

2) The leg stock is roughly 2x2 and I was thinking of just making a half-lap onto the skirt and tapering the legs.  How much is a good taper for legs like this that are about 29" long?  I don't want to do too much and make it very delicate looking nor so little taper that it's had to tell that it's  even tapered.

The taper in the second photo looks about right to me. I'm guessing (since I couldn't use dividers on the computer screen that the bottom of the legs are about 1/2 the width/depth of the tops of the legs. That might make a good starting point. As for arrangement, the first photo has more eye appeal to me...and i suspect you may be right about the second one being tippy.