Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, RustyFN said:

I have been watching videos on the three main ones and the Mcnaughton looks like the most difficult to use.

I bought it when I was turning a lot of fairly large bowls. Watched every video I could find. Committed myself to learning to use it, several times actually. The last time I tried I had such a severe catch I bent one of the knives. Generally, the times I didn't get a catch I ruined the largest bowl by going to thin.  Like I said, I've just never figured it out. Mike Mahoney makes it look so easy but for me it is not.

Lots of stuff about these on the AAW Forum. Apparently the McNaughton is the hardest to learn and that is what MaHoney uses I think. OneWay and Woodcut are two of the easier. Hunter has come out with a new attachment to use his cutters on a coring system but not sure what it fits. Any system takes patience as forcing it will only cause problems.

Now to other issues. From what I have read I think 2 hp or above is preferred but can get by with 1.5hp. If you have a mini lathe I would not think you would be happy with it and then coring a 11 inch bowl (about the largest you can get on a 12 inch lathe) will not give you more than maybe two nice bowls and if you are good a finger bowl.

I suggest a lot more research before committing to it. Look at some other forums such as Sawmill Creek and AAW with lots more traffic as this is something maybe 1 in 100 turners have used.