What I wouldn't give for a good piece of ash....

ehbowen

The Shopsmith does start at 750 rpm, but that is a great starting speed for spindle work such as pepper mills and pens.  After you get it roughed in, you can  speed up to about E or F.  To sand, turn it back down to A, the starting speed.  If you plan on turning large bowls, you can feel safer with the speed reducer.  Continue to check on eBay and Etsy for an estate sale.  

Now you just have to figure a way to sharpen those gouges. From what you said I am guessing they are carbon steel and not HSS. Carbon steel will lose temper if it gets too hot, so keep the water handy for cooling unless you have a slow speed grinder. Lew gave you one of the best places for kits

For several decades, Shopsmith has suggested using 120 grit sandpaper on their sanding disk. Then they have a guide to use to sharpen the gouges on the turning sandpaper.  https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/sh_sharpeningguide.htm

I don't know if this has to do with the metal or convenience of unskilled users.