Friday January 22nd-2021-What's on Your Weekend Agenda?

Larry Buskirk

1 hour ago, Larry Buskirk said:

Never met a mouse that could chew into conduit, but have seen sections of romex stripped clean.

Never could figure out why there were no electrocuted bodies nearby. :ChinScratch:

Working on the theater shop outdoor lights.   They just used Romex across the outside of the building (no conduit no UF or whatever is needed).   Half the lights were not working.  We isolated it to a section where it went above what was at one time a sliding door.   There was about a foot of Romex sheaf that was chewed off and a bit of wire insulation chewed off.  No bird or mouse carcasses that we could find, though it was about 18' in the air, so we didn't really check.

I have used EMT (metal conduit) a few times, but the latest trip to Menards, they had some plastic conduit.   Anyone used it or know of its legal use?

56 minutes ago, DuckSoup said:

@Gene Howe fwiw I would run 3/4" conduit, the cost increase is minimal compared to 1/2".

4"x 4" x 2 1/8 deep boxes, again minimal cost plus more room for devices.

#12 THHN stranded. There is no reason to fight solid wire.

My preference is ground up on a receptacle. My thinking is if anything falls down on a plug I would rather it hit the ground prong than the hot & neutral. 

When wiring a receptacle or switch I try to stop short of removing the insulation from the end of the wire, takes a little practice but it has its advantage. I then back wrap the wire. When looking at the end of a piece of wire you can see that it is twisting clockwise,

m3.jpg.311bca7faec4bef00f50a1c9d8ad4e9f.jpg    twisting the wire counterclockwise (back wrap) you get thism4.jpg.5a50611fa1dad2d6e4f790c4d2cb61fd.jpg

The advantage comes when wrapping the wire around a screw

m5.jpg.e803f206b2f621b42e6a593d7450db90.jpg

Screw on the left has the insulation removed and was not back wrapped.

Screw on the right has maybe an 1/8" of wire left under the stripped insulation.

Code around here requires single strand for 110 Volt outlet, and lighting wiring.