Mini Jet lathe motor

Rate this topic

I'm interested in lowering the speed on my mini lathe for applying friction finish evenly with no drip or flying finish. I think this will allow max finish saturation at low rpm and ease application. Then as my friction finish drys, I can speed it up. The minimum speed is 500 rpm at the lowest the speed rheostat and belt configuration.  

The label on my Jet mini motor shows  half horse  60 Hertz and below shows 162 vdc 3 amp. A contradiction of info. Is it a dc motor that gets is source from the speed controller?

0A7E8F8F-7282-4F54-BB63-DB2467B36A93.jpeg

Edited by Ron Altier

Without a complete schematic it is hard to determine if it would be possible to lower the voltages to the motor so speed could be reduced.

There has to be some sort of diode rectification to convert the AC to DC.

May or may not be possible to change the value of the potentiometer to lower the output voltage.

I have seen people try this before and the AAW Forum has many such Discussions. I think the bottom line is if input voltage is too low it will burn up the windings or something like that. These motors are not designed to be lowered that much due probably to the cost of those windings. So I guess you could say your dog is chasing a blind squirrel.

16 hours ago, Gerald said:

I have seen people try this before and the AAW Forum has many such Discussions. I think the bottom line is if input voltage is too low it will burn up the windings or something like that. These motors are not designed to be lowered that much due probably to the cost of those windings. So I guess you could say your dog is chasing a blind squirrel.

Ohms law. You lower the voltage, you increase the amperage. It’s linear. Amperage is what burns up the wire.