Menard's Bag Sale

HandyDan

I wish Menards would expand down into the southeast. 

I just ordered some spray paint from them - four cans of Rustoleum Hammered.  It was either 2 or 3 days later and I had them - and this was just before Christmas.  I had done an internet search for the colors needed and nowhere in Georgia could I find the particular colors I wanted, red & verde green.  Cost plus shipping & handling and the paint ended up at nearly the same price I would have paid at Lowes or HD - except they don't carry those colors.  Ace would have gotten them for me, if I bought a case of each color...  In stock at Menards and shipped the next day.  I can say I am a happy Menards customer!

They will be nationwide before they're done, the expansion is moving about as fast as the Walmart expansion years back. They have become my favorite box store, they stock stuff you won't find at the other places....except for tools. They have a fair selection, but do not carry many of the common big name brands. OK by me, they still have Bosch.

6 minutes ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

They will be nationwide before they're done, the expansion is moving about as fast as the Walmart expansion years back. They have become my favorite box store, they stock stuff you won't find at the other places....except for tools. They have a fair selection, but do not carry many of the common big name brands. OK by me, they still have Bosch.

I really hope their westward expansion progresses rapidly. AFAIK, OK is as far west as they've come.

I did have one bad experience with Menards.  I needed (7) sheets 5/8" AC ply and it was a special order.  I ordered (9) sheets.  All (9) sheets were junk.  Every sheet was potato chipped and had major snipe.  I must of got all the sheets no-one wanted. 

But management treated me well.  After I used (8) of the sheets, I took the one sheet back along the cut-offs, which had the snipe, back to Menards.   They gave me credit for the (1) sheet and 10% discount for the other (8) sheets.

Danl

4 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

Ace is alive and well in AZ! Lowes and HD do a big business out here, too. We have access to several smaller lumber suppliers that usually have better selections and quality. And, their pricing is comparable to the big boxes. But, those guys are not as handy as the big boxes. 

Kinda the same thing my way.

I stopped in last evening for a couple of things.   The checkout clerk told me the bag sale ends this weekend and they probably won't have another 11% rebate offer until spring.   They usually run the 11% thing a week every couple of months, but prior to Christmas they had been running it for a couple of months straight.

Once in a while Lowe's seems to run a matching 11%, but IIRC, you have to come back in the following week to get your discount.

1 hour ago, HandyDan said:

I've never been to a Menard's.  Closest store to me is in Warren, Ohio 22 miles away.  Lowe's is less than a mile.  Can't believe they haven't built one in Youngstown yet.

That surprises me as well. I'm out in the sticks so 22 miles doesn't seem like that big a deal. I have 3 Menard's in the region, all of them are 21-23 miles away.

20 minutes ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

I'm out in the sticks so 22 miles doesn't seem like that big a deal.

Menard's is in Warren, Ohio the next town over from me.  You name the store and we have it here in my area most often.  I thought Menard's would move into the Kmart lot when it closed but someone bought it and divided it up.  Popeye's, Starbuck's, Mission Barbeque, and a Texas Road House all moved in there and there is still plenty of room.

Went to Menard's when they first opened, not a bad store but not worth the drive. The K-mart location would have been a good location. They have over developed the rt.224 corridor so much I don't think there is a food chain we don't have.

1 hour ago, HandyDan said:

Popeye's, Starbuck's, Mission Barbeque, and a Texas Road House all moved in there

Heading east on 224 at this intersection I'm in the curb lane when the light turns green, traffic doesn't move but the second lane clears out. I move over along with everyone else thinking there is an accident in the lane. Light changes off we go and no accident but the drive thru line to Popeye's is now occupying the curb lane. The Chic-Fila that was in this location built across the street now has two drive-thru lanes & still have traffic problems in the plaza parking lot. 

2 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

That surprises me as well. I'm out in the sticks so 22 miles doesn't seem like that big a deal. I have 3 Menard's in the region, all of them are 21-23 miles away.

Me, too.  Except 4 are in that range.   One is very close to where I do regular shopping, another close to New Life Furniture Bank where I volunteer about once a week.   Another was just a mile from a customer that I used to be at weekly.   And the fourth is in Dayton, that isn't that far, but is mostly back roads to get there.   The rest are expressway accessible.  One nice thing is I can look online and see if something is carried in the store and how many they have in stock.  HD will tell you the aisle and bin that is also very helpful.  I think for a couple bucks, Menards will pull the stock for you and allow you to do curbside (in the back) pick up.

I have also ordered some speciality items from Menards and HD free ship-to-store.   One was kind of confusing, it cost about $4 and they put it in a box and shipped UPS to the HD store.  Didn't just come on the next HD truck to replenish stock.  Don't know how they made a profit on that.  I used to get stuff that way from my then-local Do-It-Best hardware.   Order by Sunday close of day and it would be there Wednesday.   Wal*mart tried it and the service was terrible.  I gave up on them until they put in the robot to grab your order.

Menards carries #1 SYP that I have used a fair amount of for shop fixtures.   And I think they have more inventory of building supplies than the other BORGs.

50 minutes ago, kmealy said:

And I think they have more inventory of building supplies than the other BORGs.

That's the part I like...the building supply stuff selection outshines everybody. Years ago I didn't know 1/4" drywall existed until I saw it at Menards...just in time for a need I had. You can find stuff in there that the others don't carry.

6 hours ago, HandyDan said:

I've never been to a Menard's.  Closest store to me is in Warren, Ohio 22 miles away.  Lowe's is less than a mile.  Can't believe they haven't built one in Youngstown yet.

I grew up about 10 miles N of Youngstown and 10 miles E of Warren.  Went to both frequently.   I remember one of my friends from Kinsman (rural northern part of the county) saying, "Well, I would go there but it's all the way across the county."   Someone else responded, "Yeah, it might take you 20 minutes."  Little to no traffic lights, roads flat and straight, hop on and go.  A few years later, I worked on two expressways, one E-W to bypass Warren and the other north and south through the county and then some.   So it got even better.  Later, I moved to a Chicago suburb.  Ugh.   On the radio they never talked about a particular traffic slowdown location.  It was always something like 20 minutes from A to B, 35 minutes from A to C, 50 minutes from A to D.   There was always slow traffic during "rush hour" that lasted from 6 am to 12 midnight.

I used to live about 5 miles from Costco, Menards, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.   But there were about 10 traffic lights and it would take me 20 minutes.   Now I live about 20 miles away.  One stop sign on a rural road, then I'm on the 70 mph expressway.  No more lights until I get off the the exit.  Still takes 20 minutes.

On 1/12/2021 at 9:29 AM, Danl said:

I did have one bad experience with Menards.  I needed (7) sheets 5/8" AC ply and it was a special order.  I ordered (9) sheets.  All (9) sheets were junk.  Every sheet was potato chipped and had major snipe.  I must of got all the sheets no-one wanted. 

But management treated me well.  After I used (8) of the sheets, I took the one sheet back along the cut-offs, which had the snipe, back to Menards.   They gave me credit for the (1) sheet and 10% discount for the other (8) sheets.

Danl

We have both Menards and Lowe’s within 30 minutes from  me.  I’ve learned that the lumber from Menards is inferior to Lowe’s.  There’s a smaller chain in Indiana called Gillman’s and their lumber is top of the line.

Archived