First bowl turned on the new Delta 46 460 lathe

Rate this topic

Nice Andrew! Glad you love the lathe, and that is spectacular first bowl on it too, I was just curious if any of the veteran wood turners here have any advice for Andrew on how to avoid or fix those pesky lines on the inside of the bowl? I'd like to know too. :)

I didn't sand it as well as I could have that one I was just making to throw my keys in.  I've got a bigger bowl in the works that will be sanded a lot better I've got two 8 by 8 by 3 blanks of maple that I'll be gluing together to make a larger bowl.  So we shall soon be seeing how that turns out.  I didn't sand that one well purposely.

26 minutes ago, AndrewB said:

I didn't sand that one well purposely.

I had an inkling that was the case, but just in case I thought I'd put out the quality control call, for some constructive crtiques. I have plenty of those "just for me" projects Andrew, I get it! :lol:

Normally, when I turn something, I start with 100 grit to remove any tool marks such as seem evident here.  Then move up to 140, 180 - 200 and you can go from there.  As Jess said, Elbow grease and time.  On your last couple of grits, you ensure that the tool marks are not obvious and then sand in line with the grain.  It takes time and effort.  I learned sanding with the grain on my first rolling pins.  Having the object spin will continue to leave marks from the sandpaper, especially the coarse grit.  One of those round pads on a special sander or one of those tools that Lew has posted many times, will remove those tool marks as well.