Cheaper than golf?

kmealy

5 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

But it was expensive and i moved on to something else (handball, I think).

Few of us tried this racketball rage for a time.  As always you have that one guy that plays cut throat.  He runs up one day trying to charge the ball. Hit it as hard as he can.  In defense I swung and just went straight at wall.  Well he stood up right at that time and took the ball right to the cods.  Went down like a sack of potatoes!!   Then is screaming to help him.  My buddy asks him, "what do you want us to do rub it??"

:throbbinghead:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I meant no disrespect towards anyone's choice of enjoyment. 

I was never coordinated enough to master any sport that requires hand/eye/muscle interactivity. I think I enjoyed Scuba diving because I only needed to move my legs and breath :lol:

And yes, Scuba diving is on a "par" with golf when it comes to expense. Equipment, fees and travel eventually put it out of my price range. Scuba diving in south central Pennsylvania is limited to mostly cold, deep, dark quarries. After 30 years it gets kinda boring.

It’s fun to bust on golfers, because most of my friends golf, and we all bust on each other. They used to ask me if I had figured out how much each fish i caught cost by the pound. I think it was about $1K per pound LOL. Certainly one can make an argument that golf is cheaper than chasing stripers on the Atlantic. But I wasn’t trying to make any of this personal.

My dad was an avid fisherman all his life.  And, after he sold the farm, he became an avid golfer, as well. I do believe he thoroughly enjoyed both activities. He pretty much wore the same clothes for each activity. Same ones he farmed in. He did have a pair of golf shoes, though. His head gear for fishing and, golf was what ever the seed companies handed out. 

I think everyone's hobby can be about as expensive as you want to make it. 

I am going to look at some panels today, tables actually, but I am sure they won't be cheap.  Not sure what they are yet, I am hoping they might be white oak.

And I do enjoy busting on the BIL, especially when he is watching it on TV.  Me?  I'll take a woodworking video :D

Sports are alright for those who can afford it.  I don't blame anyone or put them down because I can't afford it.  To me, for every dollar invested, I need a near full return.  I love photography, but it is all cost, no returns just like most sports unless you are professional.  Woodworking gives a nice return.  I have made bookcases that would have cost me 4 times as much to buy.  I don't have many of the expensive tools, but as a child in the foothills of Tennessee, we learned how to survive on what was available and usable.  That was all that I was trying to say.  As someone so eloquently stated, to each his own.  

On 1/7/2021 at 9:01 AM, HandyDan said:

My dad and I fished every fair weather Saturday and the BSing overpowered the fishing.  Loved every minute of it and worth every penny spent on boat and such.  Give my last dollar for one more day. 

Change "dad' to "brother-in-law", and I could have written that! We spent a lot of time on the ice of a local lake too. I've barely fished since he passed away.

47 minutes ago, HARO50 said:

Change "dad' to "brother-in-law", and I could have written that! We spent a lot of time on the ice of a local lake too. I've barely fished since he passed away.

Sold the boat and haven't fished since dad past on.  My brother says he'd like to so maybe this Summer.

On 1/6/2021 at 7:15 PM, Artie said:

Certainly one can make an argument that golf is cheaper than chasing stripers on the Atlantic.

Boy, I mis-read this   stripers = fish;  strippers = exotic dancers looking for money in their belt.

Archived