High Speed Steel gouges.....

AndrewB

I'm still shopping around for HSS Steel gouges for my lathe.  How ever in doing plenty of research I've been looking at going with the Carter and Son tool sets.  But then again they are extremely expensive tools but I like the handles where I can just switch out the tools just with using and allen wrench.  But I'm debataing on that highly just because of the over all cost of the tools themselves.  Even my EWT tools are not as expensive as these...

https://carterandsontoolworks.com/collections

13 minutes ago, AndrewB said:

I'm still shopping around for HSS Steel gouges for my lathe.  How ever in doing plenty of research I've been looking at going with the Carter and Son tool sets.  But then again they are extremely expensive tools but I like the handles where I can just switch out the tools just with using and allen wrench.  But I'm debataing on that highly just because of the over all cost of the tools themselves.  Even my EWT tools are not as expensive as these...

https://carterandsontoolworks.com/collections

I believe you can do the same thing with the Thompson tools.

• 3 weeks later...

Just delivered the Robert Sorby 1 1/4 inch roughing gouge.  I haven't even yet had a chance to use it.  But I am surprised at the over all size of the tool I was thinking it was going to be a lot smaller than it is.  How ever  the weight of it seems fine to me about the same weight and length as my carbide tips.  Just need to pick up a couple more HSS tools and I think I'll be good for the time being still looking for a good HSS parting tool.

IMG_1064.JPG.e3fdec3441c5e664c42d255a31693daa.JPG

IMG_1065.JPG.2f50b6a249351a69f4b4a68fe17a7293.JPG

IMG_1066.JPG.bb020078303dcf4bbc605678e383763a.JPG

IMG_1063.JPG.5bcc95c6425fa1fe3b13c0ef6fa8de9d.JPG

1 hour ago, AndrewB said:

still looking for a good HSS parting tool.

I bought the EWT 2nd generation parting tool.  The cutter is 1/8", so not a thin kerf parting tool, but I like it.  I even used it for some roughing work making the Christmas stocking tree I posted on earlier.  Solid feel, easy to handle.  I really like it.

I just picked up one of the Robert Sorby parting tools I've been wanting an HSS one for a while now.   So now at least I'm starting to build my collection of HSS quality tools instead of buying cheap crap at least.  Still need to get a smaller spindle gouge and a bowl gouge.  But at the moment those can wait.

Edited by AndrewB

Not too sure on this but it seems like it will work fine for what I want and need for a parting tool.  Just need to acquire a couple more I think a skew and a finishing tool will do the trick that are HSS.  Not sure what other tools Id need.  Aside from a bowl gouge but that will have to wait.

IMG_1073.JPG.3c326731771e46beda764fb62c90e883.JPG

IMG_1074.JPG.5f2986da3797d4cb078c503a6fcb3f49.JPG

IMG_1075.JPG.ca917c949ebf47619120b38bea080e26.JPG

If you are thinking of the inside of the bowl, then that might work.  But using a round nose scraper on the outside of the bowl as a finishing tool might not give you the result you want.  You have a round edge meeting a round surface of the bowl.  I haven't tried that, but my gut feeling is that it leave a rough and uneven surface.  A scraper is, ultimately, a scraper and doesn't always leave a smooth surface, whereas a bowl gouge will cut the fibers instead of scraping them.  With practice, this should leave a smoother surface.  My advice would be to rethink your decision to delay the purchase of a bowl gouge.  The learning curve is steeper than that of a scraper, such as EWT, but I think the end result might be more to your liking.  That being said, I am still very much in the learning phase of HSS tools.  Maybe @lew and/or @Gerald will be along and correct me if I have given bad advice.  I am still a fan of EWT, but I am seeing the advantage of knowing both techniques.

Edited by PostalTom
Added a thought.

39 minutes ago, PostalTom said:

If you are thinking of the inside of the bowl, then that might work.  But using a round nose scraper on the outside of the bowl as a finishing tool might not give you the result you want.  You have a round edge meeting a round surface of the bowl.  I haven't tried that, but my gut feeling is that it leave a rough and uneven surface.  A scraper is, ultimately, a scraper and doesn't always leave a smooth surface, whereas a bowl gouge will cut the fibers instead of scraping them.  With practice, this should leave a smoother surface.  My advice would be to rethink your decision to delay the purchase of a bowl gouge.  The learning curve is steeper than that of a scraper, such as EWT, but I think the end result might be more to your liking.  That being said, I am still very much in the learning phase of HSS tools.  Maybe @lew and/or @Gerald will be along and correct me if I have given bad advice.  I am still a fan of EWT, but I am seeing the advantage of knowing both techniques.

Round nose scrapers work best on the inside of a bowl for removing tool marks. A square scraper can be used on the outside of a bowl for the same purpose. A skilled turner, using a bowl gouge, can complete a bowl with virtually no tool marks. I haven't achieved that level- yet.

For the outside of a bowl, I use the EWT "rougher" with a R2 cutter. Run the bowl at a fairly high (but safe) speed. I'm getting the same finish as comes from a bowl gouge using shear scraping.

I'm saving up for the new EWT parting tool. I have the original and it works well. I think the new one will be a little more stable in a deeper cut.