Good Monday Morning Patriot Woodworkers! December 14, 2020

John Morris

If no one noticed Christmas is next week! So I suspect I'll spend some time getting the groceries together for the Christmas feast. I'm betting it will just be Marie, the dog and me again...just like Thanksgiving. But I'll cook the big ham and other stuff and drop some off at the daughters house. I will say, Marie is really taking this isolation thing hard. She doesn't get out much anyway, and not having family around on the holidays seems to be dragging on her.

On 12/14/2020 at 11:48 PM, FlGatorwood said:

One of my neighbor widows gave me this and I have no idea what it was built for.  It appears to be some sort of gaming container.  And, it appears to be built from pine and regular plywood.  The lock actually works.

Closed case.jpg

The sides appear to be a good quality of pine.  Top and bottom are plywood.

dovetails.jpg

Nice leather handle and the lock actually works.  Gives me the idea that maybe had some sort of game components. 

Handle&lock.jpg

lidopen.jpg

Lid up and peek inside. 

draweropen.jpg

I don't understand those two unusual pieces of wood.  Any ideas?

Box to carry the Dulcimer around in....wood blocks might be used on the strings>>>>

On 12/14/2020 at 11:48 PM, FlGatorwood said:

One of my neighbor widows gave me this and I have no idea what it was built for.  It appears to be some sort of gaming container.  And, it appears to be built from pine and regular plywood.  The lock actually works.

Closed case.jpg

The sides appear to be a good quality of pine.  Top and bottom are plywood.

dovetails.jpg

Nice leather handle and the lock actually works.  Gives me the idea that maybe had some sort of game components. 

Handle&lock.jpg

lidopen.jpg

Lid up and peek inside. 

draweropen.jpg

I don't understand those two unusual pieces of wood.  Any ideas?

That's a very typical "carpenter's box" from mid 20th century.   Roy Underhill had plans for one.