Wednesday's Wisdom For Woodturners November 25, 2020

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Gerald said:

I think you are right as this changes the whole notion of Nova being opposite. Now we will have to as if someone is using the old or the new

I just looked at their website, and it appears the jaws are still somewhat interchangeable.

It appears the new chuck is for the larger lathes, but I'm still not sure which to look for.

I probably won't be turning large items, unless I do any outboard turning.

7 hours ago, Larry Buskirk said:

I just looked at their website, and it appears the jaws are still somewhat interchangeable.

It appears the new chuck is for the larger lathes, but I'm still not sure which to look for.

I probably won't be turning large items, unless I do any outboard turning.

To clarify the jaws on ALL Nova chucks are interchangeable except Titan and Infinity. The Super Nova 2 is intended for medium to large lathes (they state 12-16 inch)  and the same applies to this new line. I believe since the new ones are Super Nova that they are the same size as SN2 except the Pro is almost 1 1/2 inches shorter. Cannot find the weight on the Pro-Tek so cannot compare that. By the way may be oversight but the SN@ is not in the catalog at Teknatool now.

11 hours ago, Gerald said:

To clarify the jaws on ALL Nova chucks are interchangeable except Titan and Infinity. The Super Nova 2 is intended for medium to large lathes (they state 12-16 inch)  and the same applies to this new line. I believe since the new ones are Super Nova that they are the same size as SN2 except the Pro is almost 1 1/2 inches shorter. Cannot find the weight on the Pro-Tek so cannot compare that. By the way may be oversight but the SN@ is not in the catalog at Teknatool now.

I just looked again, and you have to click on the Products tab at the top.

They still list the G3, SN2, and the new Pro=Tek series in the line up.

I could get away with a G3, but should probably go with a SN2 just in case I do any outboard turning.

Edited by Larry Buskirk

I have a couple Oneway Talon chucks and really like them.  I have an older Oneway that employs Tommy bars to tighten and a Wood River of the same construction.  Penn State Industries always runs an add for a Tommy Bar chuck with free jumbo jaws.  I bought one and was going to keep it ready with the jumbo jaws mounted full time.  Well I must have got lucky because it is the most accurate chuck I own as far as run out is concerned.  It is as closer to dead on than my metal lathe chucks.  I use it quite often when doing small items.  I wonder if it is closer to dead on because it was manufactured to screw directly on and doesn't require a thread adapter.

Capture.PNG.1a1e983652245f69358c5bbd73d455de.PNG

@Gunny Thank You!

@Gerald Thanks! Those are beautiful earring bowls! Thanks also for the input on the chucks!

@FlGatorwood Thank You!

@HandyDan Thanks! Also, thnaks for providing additional information on the chucks.

@Steve Krumanaker Thank You!

@Larry Buskirk Sorry Larry, didn't mean to confuse you! Glad Gerald and Dan jumped in and helped out with additional information.

@Masonsailor Thank You!

1 minute ago, lew said:

Sorry Larry, didn't mean to confuse you! Glad Gerald and Dan jumped in and helped out with additional information.

I've figured out I can get by with a G3, but will have to go with the insert type so I can use it inboard, and outboard.

Wish I would have figured out what the one on C-List was before it disappeared.