Refinishing kitchen cabinets - need advise

Danl

My son has asked me to refinish his kitchen cabinets.  I am planning to use Sherwin Williams Sher-wood Kem Aqua plus white for the doors and drawer fronts.  This is the product I used for the small additional cabinet I made for him earlier this year.   It is a water base material.   If I skuff the door/drawer fronts with P220, is this enough prep for the SW product to adhere to the oak wood?  They will be cleaned with Murphy's soap prior to sanding.

The end panels are not wood, but a plastic laminate.  Can I use the SW product?  If not, what is needed?  Will the end panels need skuffed?

Appreciate your input.  Thanks in advance.

Danl

IMG_3724.JPG.c5fe73fe37e58cdf2b8d77d556899f1a.JPG

IMG_3725.JPG.efb4e425fcbad493f4d3767d7b3954c6.JPG

2 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

The one thing I usually mention to anyone redoing kitchen cabinets: clean! Not with anything you normally use, but with TSP (the real stuff, not the imposter). That gets followed with some good grease cutting detergent (Dawn is good) and dried. the problem with the cabinets is not only the normal contamination from kitchen duties, but at some point they may have also received a dose of silicone from Pledge some other evil compound. Then even with that cleaning, they may still need a coat of shellac to seal off any leftover contamination.

thanks for all of the input.

4 hours ago, Smallpatch said:

Spraying I hope!

Spraying is how I was planning to do it.  The weather is getting colder, so I better hurry (I spray in the garage).  

4 hours ago, JimM said:

Is there enough reveal to put a 3/16" or 1/4" skin on the end panel?

There is not enough reveal for an additional skin.

4 hours ago, lew said:

I'd use Simple Green to wash down the cabinets. Not sure about scuffing the end panels.

I now know cleaning is a must. 

Not sure what to do with the end panels.

Danl

Danl the end panels should take the water base okay when spraying. 

On the small things I air brush using water base I then use clear lacquer for the sheen I want but the water base has to be completely dry first...water base colors should look the same on wood and plastic.

The end panels might get the color scratched off easier but they look like they are out of the way of any traffic to cause that...

Edited by Smallpatch

I agree with Fred. After all the cleaning apply a coat of shellac. It will stick well and give you a good surface to apply the actual finish. As far as the end panels it’s a difficult one. If you scuff them up you may have a difficult time getting a smooth enough finish but it’s going to be tough to get a finish that will not peel off down the road a few years. I think air brushing on an enamel is your best bet. 
Paul

58 minutes ago, kmealy said:

B-I-N comes in two formats now, shellac and "synthetic shellac."   I look for the original.

When I have refinished cabinets I've always stripped and sanded them.  So I don't have much experience with just top coating.  I have rehabbed some kitchens that were done with some finishes that will not take any top coat, even itself after a short recoat window.   I've also had to turn down touch up table repair jobs on this type of finish because it would not accept any touch up finish on top of it.   Fortunately, it's rare, but it's still out there.

Be aware that the oak's grain will telegraph through an opaque finish.  Just be aware of this.

In repairing fire damage to vinyl end panels, I've scraped off the damaged stuff, applied a self stick veneer, sanded and finished.
image.png.194da0e030f5e96f9dc74942f449d2b4.png

image.png.095bfd5cbdb53860e78ee977e58df1e5.png

image.png.8da54ef2d0fa31f6c79226e16195d737.png

image.png.221e28c8f183d2b522663b0e605e929a.png

That is some nice rehab work.