Setting up the actual bench for my HF Lathe LOL

AndrewB

I'm hoping this will hold the 380 some odd pounds of lathe.  I just don't trust the flimsy metal but I guess it could be fairly sturdy ones the main body of the lathe is setting on it at least I hope it is.  I'm not going to be lifting it by myself.  I did notice that the main legs of the lathe itself were TOOO short for me to use so I cut down a couple of 2x4s to sit underneath the legs of the lathe and I will lock those into place.  From there I will bolt the 2x4s into the concrete.  I also plan on securing it to the wall some how maybe with a couple of 2x4s and drilling through the legs and bolting it in I'll have to figure something out for that.  I do not want it walking around.  How ever this may be quite a bit easier to work around.  I also put a good coat of paste wax onto the lathe bed as well while I was out there.  Either way this may work out better in the long run than using the 2x4s.  Then I can get rid of the mess on the wall for once.

IMG_0702.JPG

IMG_0703.JPG

Yea I just worry because those things are just so dag gum flimsy just got the call to my brother going to be giving me a call this afternoon to move the lathe so I can bolt that thing down to the actual bench and completely dismantle the other one.  So double bonus for me I'll be able to get everything done today hopefully.

Lathe SUCCESSFULLY moved over with help...  I'm currently in the process of getting the lathe bolted down to the stand.  I'm a bit POed with Harbor Freight at the moment.  The stand they gave me DID NOT line up with the holes for the bolts on the lathe AT all.  We lined up the back with the motor and headstock to the holes on that leg.  I bolted those in.  Got a couple more to add.  How ever the bed at the tail stock end was too long and those holes did not line up at all.  2 of the bolt holes are NOT even on the leg stand and I had to drill out 2 holes just to get the tail stock side bolted in.  What a complete mess and joke.  Flippin Harbor Freight I tell ya.  How ever the stand looks like its taking the weight of the lathe at least and it seems stable so far even though the stupid thing is so out of whack its not even funny.

IMG_0706.JPG

IMG_0704.JPG

IMG_0705.JPG

IMG_0708.JPG

It s good to have some flex in a lathe stand.  If it is bolted down to a warped rigid surface it may twist the lathe bed.  

If you loosen all the lower bolts a little I would bet the stand pads could be maneuvered to correctly bolt the lathe to it.  Once the lathe is bolted to the pads then tighten all the lower leg bolts.      

Yea all that's been done I'm going to be calling harbor freight tomorrow and cussing them out because they sent me a lathe stand that doesn't even match with the lathe I'm so ticked off about it.  Its stable at this point I've got a bit more stabilizing to do on the tail stock end so for now its working.  I just don't want the thing crumpling down to the ground.  That would be a waste of 400 bucks.

Edited by AndrewB

Well everything is pretty much complete cleaned up as well as I could for what my little shed is.  (primarily storage)  and my small workspace...  I've got to do a bit more stabilization with the lathe itself but I think that should take too much...  I've got a couple of 2x4s under it to help support it.  seems to be holding it quite well and seems semi sturdy.  On the other double bonus worked out a deal with my brother Id turn him a couple bowls for a a couple of installed plugs in my wall.  One for where the band saw is and one plug next to the lathe.  I'm also going to plan for a switch to shut the power off to the plugs as well and turn it on.   Thankfully my brother is a certified electrician LOL so its nice to have access to that.  I just have to pay for the outlets.  So long story short shed coming along quite nicely for the most part.   With putting the lathe on its actual stand its saved me a ton of room.  With temperatures planning to plunge in the coming days and the news already talking about SNOW that nasty little 4 letter word well I'm still trying to work out how I'm going to heat the space its in efficient as far as heating but if I can keep myself warm enough to turn I'll be happy I don't really want to use propane or open flame inside the shed.  ALSO I'm looking for suggestions on what I should do with some of the space on the wall next to my lathe Id like to come up with some sort of lathe tool holder for all the lathe tools so I don't have to just set them down some random place.  Suggestions would be appreciated.

IMG_0714.JPG

IMG_0713.JPG

IMG_0711.JPG

IMG_0710.JPG

Edited by AndrewB

17 hours ago, HandyDan said:

If you loosen all the lower bolts a little I would bet the stand pads could be maneuvered to correctly bolt the lathe to it.  Once the lathe is bolted to the pads then tighten all the lower leg bolts.  

I would agree with Dan on the bolt alignment. Have you tried removing one bolt each on the cross brace & let it rotate on the remaining bolts then aligning the four bolts on the pad. I think you would be better served with the pad flat to the lathe, The picture appears that the lathe is setting on the edge of the pad.

xz1_LI.jpg.3259272ee55ddb0b6cc7eb06024c9a5d.jpg

Found this pic that may help with storage & ballast,

xz3.jpg.72df592249c9897a77f5b582f2e87492.jpg.

40 minutes ago, DuckSoup said:

I would agree with Dan on the bolt alignment. Have you tried removing one bolt each on the cross brace & let it rotate on the remaining bolts then aligning the four bolts on the pad. I think you would be better served with the pad flat to the lathe, The picture appears that the lathe is setting on the edge of the pad.

xz1_LI.jpg.3259272ee55ddb0b6cc7eb06024c9a5d.jpg

Found this pic that may help with storage & ballast,

xz3.jpg.72df592249c9897a77f5b582f2e87492.jpg.

It does look like the legs in the second photo are more vertical which would indicate @AndrewB could rotate the legs and they would fit properly.

No eventually this lathe is going to the way side.  I'm going to be saving up a bit of money and I'm going to invest in a jet lathe at some point.  So this one for the time being is doing what it needs to but will be obsolete at some point.  But everything is working the way I need it to for the time being. Or a grizzley.

Edited by AndrewB

I agree with the others on the stand . These are mass produced and need a bit of tweaking when assembled. As to strength of a stand built like this one that is not a problem with bracing at bottom and lathe bolts at the top it would take a tremendous side force to collapse it. Ordinary turning will not harm the stand.

If you chose a wall rack with PVC tubes you want the tube larger than the gouge and a stop at the bottom. Sizing the tube to stop the gouge by friction at the top limits the versatility of that type rack.

63980873_Lathestationupper8-20.JPG.dc1195a85ca0e1c0af3d01ab4fe0a58c.JPG

or something like this with 4X4 with holes drilled.

You do need to level the lathe bed front and back . I see you have some framing but a better option leaving storage would be something like Bob showed or just a box the length and width of the stand filled with sand which will give you some usable space above.2038292303_lathetoolswall.JPG.89fd7145c3c50bba55d8bf86d4f6482c.JPG

tool rack

P1121572.JPG.fdd13dbd05bef9b63638804ac922c80c.JPG

shelf filled with sand

660797885_P1271605(Small).JPG.013668f7368c120c785d0759f68c2785.JPG

better yet sand in bottom and drawers add lots of weight,

Edited by Gerald

I did use PVC tubes for the tools I have done something with that in the short run.  I may wind up nixing the HF lathe stand and re building a more sturdy stand for it that isn't so shotty.  I just have to get up and do it just just being able to move the lathe around and have the space and of course being able to make sure I can move it in close enough to get the lathe onto the new stand with out it going too crazy or falling on the ground and injuring myself....  I'm not happy with the way the harbor freight stand is because it was not actually to the size of the lathe itself.  I think I've got something of an idea to work out on how to do this.

So I've worked out the plan I'm going to build something similar to saw horses.  I'm taking the time to cut the angles I need in order to have it set nicely on the ground.  and level using a 2x4 top base so I'm doing 2 per side and then I'm going to run a piece of 2x4 between to connect the two legs on each side.  as well as for the back.  As well as running to length wise cross peices on the bottom towards the middle of the legs.  That should work out decently enough to give the lathe plenty of support it will need.  I'm hoping at least.  Along with making sure I have enough space for the bolts to be threaded through the 2x4s.  I will take photos once I get at least one set done.  The legs for the head stock end will need the most support since that is the heaviest end of the machine.

Okay its not complete yet but this will be the stand for the head stock of the lathe.  I'm considering doing something just a bit different for the tail stock since it doesn't support that much weight.  I still have to put the supporting cross pieces on to complete the two sides at the distance that I want it at it wont be by that much.  But I'm thinking that angle should give the lathe plenty of support.  Not sure what you guys think.  Even though it's not fully put together.

IMG_0719.JPG

At least FOR NOW I know ITS NOT going to collapse under weight.  These steel saw horses can hold 300 pounds each.  I had a 250 pound chunk of steel on top of them with a hot forge running at 1500 degrees and they worked well for that so for the time being until I can get the legs done  and get the lathe put back in order and the hf stand off of the darn thing and thrown away.  I think this will work to hold it up for now.  It was a pain to get it in place.  With out dropping the lathe on myself.

IMG_0720.JPG

IMG_0721.JPG

Andrew I do not understand your concern for weight. This is a light weight lathe and the steel stand will be there long after this lathe quits. As to two sets of legs on headstock that is not a design feature. Look around at all other lathes and you will see the same legs front and rear. Placing more leg at headstock will create problems if you are turning on the backside of a piece as they will be in the way.

As to building your own stand , yes a good idea but you will need a better joint than the drywall screws I see now. Create a joint that will use quality screws and glue. There is a lot of vibration to deal with and that takes a strong joint , butt joints are not strong joints.