Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

The Few, The Proud, The Patriot Woodworker's! Make no bones about it, we aren't many, but we are very proud of our community here!

John Morris

The Lord Giveth, and Taketh

Maybe too much information of my personal life here, but hey, we are all family and I am sure many can relate.

Been saving up for a few years to purchase an old truck, kinda partial to early 60's Fords and GMC's, my wife and I were getting ready to pull the trigger this month to finally get my dream on its way, and our health insurance increased by over 800 bucks a month! We are in open enrollment season right now where us employees choose our health plan for the new year ahead, the plan we are on increased that 800 bucks, and all the other plans we were offered are worse!:angry: So we are stuck with our old plan, and I lost the truck money. :(

All in all, I thank the good Lord I am employed, my family is healthy, the insurance we do have is very good, but for the cost, and the truck will just have to wait for a few more years I guess, but hey, the Taketh part is small in comparison to what others give up in life, we are blessed.

Thanks for reading my vent! Oh ya, the beaut we were going to look at tomorrow is seen below, asking 8500 for it, talked to the gent and it was a good daily driver, my wife could've driven it as it was an automatic, had the small V-6 in it just like I wanted, and the long wood bed, and man was it clean!

This was going to be the rig my son and I were going to hang in, go places, camping, shooting in the outback, and I'd loan it to him for his young love dates. We were going to the bank today to get the money we had and a little financing for the balance, all set to go, and BAM! Taketh! :lol:

Sure was purdy though wadn't she!!

120895045_3541105525950827_4250138908730490933_o.jpg

121055303_3541104995950880_7100870794864162540_o.jpg

121033723_3541104822617564_6753333363446666792_o.jpg

5 minutes ago, HARO50 said:

An $800 INCREASE

Ya we were at around 1100.00 a month, of which we paid about half because of the way our employee contract is figured, employer contribution etc, but then the base rate went up to 1900 plus or minus, and we are on the hook for that increase.

The plan we are on is attached to our county medical system, so the rates were really low for years and years, problem is with it being a county medical system, the system is getting hit hard in the last few years with non insured patients, from the itinerant to the undocumented, they all of course gravitate to the county system because it is free health care for them, but then it becomes more expensive for us, so they had to make a huge adjustment and laid it on the backs of us folks paying into the system.

Is what it is, always willing to lend a hand to the less fortunate and destitute, the thing is though, this time it landed squarely on my back!:cowboy:

12 hours ago, FlGatorwood said:

Is that a 1960 or 1961 GMC?

Hey Steven, it was a 1964, I do know on my dad's 1966 Ford F100 the gas stem is right where you said it is. Not sure about the GMC's though.

12 hours ago, FlGatorwood said:

I hope that the county can take off part of the burden by taking at least half of the increase.

That won't happen, we are in contract for the next 4 years, and it is what it is my friend! :)

14 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

I wonder if you might be able to find less expensive insurance on your own. 

I most certainly can Gene, and I've researched it and found cheaper outside of my workplace, but we are not allowed to seek insurance outside of our employer network, the only way we can acquire it outside of our network is if our spouse were employed and had insurance through her work.

But the way our contract is written up, no, we cannot. I know it sounds unfathomable, that we would not be able to seek our own insurance, it's a free country right? But the ACA kind of limits our choice in that area, and our employer (local government, county) must insure that we have insurance in order to meet ACA requirements. And in order to insure that, they hogtie us into their own network. There is much more to the story than that, but that is the baseline analysis of what is happening at our work place.

21 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

there's more than one way to skin a cat.

My boss dumped healthcare completely.  AND because he dumped us, we got better rates through the exchange.  Now how long that loophole stays open who knows but what a difference in cost.  BIG reason to stay right where I am at currently.  I would go from $300 a month to $1100 a month working for any of the chains.  For just the wife and I that is criminal.  And like @John Morris pointed out you cannot shop for it on your own.

I shop for car insurance, which is required by law to have, on my own and will dump a carrier in a heartbeat if the rates get crazy.  Same with home owners insurance.  You have to have it if you have a mortgage.  So you shop around.  But with this ACA crap you don't get options.  Seems kinda backwards.