Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
John Morris

Good Monday Morning Patriot Woodworkers! October 12, 2020

Rate this topic

Cal, I don't have the right words to describe that, it truly is nice!

7 hours ago, John Morris said:

We need to do that, we haven't had a sweep since we moved in, 20 yrs ago. How often do you have it done Gunny?

I'll bet you're past due! :Laughing:

Edited by Fred W. Hargis Jr

Thanks, John, for the trip back to childhood on that farm.  

Derek, awesome job and congratulations.

Cal, awesome job and color scheme.  

Wishing everyone a great week.  Trying to stay hydrated.  Having problems.  

Whatever we had, we had to either grow or make.  Trees would be felled, dragged to the site on the farm by mules, unhitched and then we removed all the bark to ensure that beetles did not get under the bark.  We harvested black oak and locust for making fence posts.  We raised our own animals and processed them in the late fall for the holidays and for food through the year.  We had a salt box.  Got the wood from a local sawmill.  Saltbox, you put about 2 to 3 inches of salt on the bottom, laid in a layer of meat, poured more salt on top of that layer and continued that until it was all in there.  Then we put a lid on it.  We made our gates from left over wire or boards or poles.  We always had 2 hogs from early spring until a cold frost November morning.  Then for about a month after we got the fresh meat, you didn't dare close a door as you couldn't turn the door knob.  We also had about 12 cows that I got to deliver a breach calf one cold January Sunday morning.  Ugh.  I never want to do that again.  Took me a week to get rid of that smell.  LOL  Harvesting hay and storing it in the barn, harvesting corn for the chickens and mules and storing it in a corn crib with the snakes.  I stepped on a rattle one morning while barefoot on my way to the spring to get water for washing clothes.  Still gives me the jitters.  You know something is wrong when something cool and slippery moves so smoothly under your bare feet.  Then when I was 7, we moved to a house that had a chicken house with 10K chickens.  Every 9 to 10 weeks, depending on market and conditions, we would sell them.  We put them on a tractor trailer for the processing center.  Oh, this has gotten too involved, but BTDT.  I remember when I was about 10, got my foot caught in the fork of an apple tree.  There I hung for about an hour.  

Seems I'll be going on a moose hunt on the last week of this month. Mixed feelings about being 'way up north, probably get snow around then. My son talked me into it. It'll be my first, and his last. :( @John Morris, cherish the time you spend with your son. You never know what tomorrow will bring!

John