5 Inch 8-Hole Hook and Loop Sanding Discs

No doubt that 800 grit takes you to a super smooth surface.  I don't usually take bare wood to anything over 220-240 and only to that level if it is getting stained or dyed.  I would use the 320 between coats of finish.  I imagine the 40G might be ok for paint or rust removal.  Overall, that assortment would leave me with a lot of extra discs that might never get used.  Not being critical of your purchase Andrew, but not for me.:)

Keep those reviews coming!  And your projects, I am enjoying your growth as a turner here.

Andrew when you buy cheap sandpaper like HF carries and that is what this looks like you will find it causing deeper scratch pattern and take longer to arrive at final finish. I see you are using a 5 inch disc so only about 20-30 percent of the disc will be engaged in the workpiece at one time , maybe even less. 

Look at getting a system to use 2 inch pads for using smaller paper more efficient than the 5 inch on small bowls and with it you can sand inside bottom of bowl. Look at Turning Wood

for mandrels and Mirka Gold paper. Price about 4 for10. You can use these in a drill. Just that this has been my experience with cheap sandpaper and the cost saving is not worth losing the quality. 

I may have to take a look at that.  I may have to get a 3 inch diameter smaller sander... Ive been using the disc sander primarily on the outsides of the bowls and then hand sanding on the inside and it's worked out okay.  I did notice how ever after hard and heavy use of the cheaper sand paper.  It was flaking  pretty heavily after about 3 or 4 minutes of good sanding.  The other issue I was having with the smaller tools was keeping it stable on the turning bowl instead of bouncing off the work.  The 5 inch disc stayed pretty well in contact on the bowl at 400 to 450 rpm and decently with no bouncing.  That was the main issue with the smaller tools I had.  So I've been using the disc primarily on the outside.

Edited by AndrewB

+1 on what @Gerald said about Mirka sanding products. Their “gold” sand paper lasts a long time. 
I also like Mirka Abranet screen type products. They don’t load up and also last a long time. 
Recently I started using a similar product called Wonder Weave. It very comparable to Abernet but a little less expensive 

The disc sander works great for the outside for what I need.  How ever I think the rest of the bowls will be hand sanded.  Power tools are just not really in my settings at this point in time unfortunately.  The inertia tool I'm finding isn't really working quite well for me either.  The only tool I've had success with at this point is the disc sander.  But as said Id primarily be using it on the outside of the bowl up to a certain point.  In the short term of things i think I may give this Mirka brand abrasives a go at some point and order some of their sand papers to give it a try out.