beveled tapering.

Al B

Years ago I built a windmill with an octagon tapered base. Today I decided to build a birdbath base  using the same basic design as the windmill and guess what. I've forgotten how to do it  "senior moment I guess". I do have my homemade taper jig. I cut rectangular pieces to the  to the height desired and cut the tapir an one side. Haven't been able to figure how to cut the matching tapir on the  opposite side. HELP PLEASE ! Thank You .  A beveled tapir would even be better, just saying. The basic size I'm thinking is an octagon approximately 24" high 12" across the flats at the base and 6"across the flats at the top.

Edited by Al B

Thanks John, I'd have to make the jig if I want to bevel and tapir. Somehow, logic tells me that for square cuts, all I have to do is move my fence and tapir jig to the opposite side of the blade using the same setting. I Haven't  gotten back to the shop  to check this out. I'm thinking square cuts covered with molding strips should look ok for a bird bath base. I'm using 3/8" plywood. 

Hey Al, thinking out of the box here, I am thinking plywood may have a rough time outside, maybe. You I am sure probably have a plan for protecting the ply from sprinklers, rain, etc. But I was wondering, what about a solid wood log base?

Here are a couple ideas, not sure what the motif of your garden is, perhaps a log may not work, but it would last a loooong time! You could also take a log and shave it down to the the shape you want. Not too mention the time it would take, no finish, only one or two cuts to size, and yer done! :D

1452969632350.jpeg

birch-log-bird-bath.jpg

jpeg

Lew beat me to it.  I was going to suggest a small piece of plywood as your guide against the fence, put screws through your plywood and just enough into your stock to make your desired angle.  And, do as Lew said, flip end for end and repeat.  Looking forward to seeing your end product.  

@HandyDan  I went to the shop and tried using the cut off piece taped to the board for tapering to opposite side. Worked well on practice pieces so that's the way I'll be making my cuts, unless I go with the log recommended by John. Thanks everyone for the help

Gotcha@HandyDan  I went to the shop and tried using the cut off piece taped to the board for tapering to opposite side. Worked well on practice pieces so that's the way I'll be making my cuts, unless I go with the log recommended by John. Thanks everyone for the help.