Started another Myrtle this one will have a twin

AndrewB

So I started a Myrtle Bowl.  My mother decided she wanted me to make bowls for people for her so I ordered 6 blanks for that two myrtle wood two canary wood and two more bhilwara wood bowls.  They are on the cheaper side of things yes but  I think she was more or less going for the way the wood grain looks.  I do like the way they look.  I'm kind of glad she chose those because they are easy as all get up to turn.  I'm also trying out a new sanding tool and inertia sander that I picked up the other day.  Its working well semi okay for things but not the best.  I guess its another learning curve to deal with.  In the long run all of these bowls are getting recorded so its going to take a bit of time.  At least I don't have to have these to her until Christmas time frame.  I used my new EWT Mid Sized Rougher for this entire project for shaping and I love the tool. 

IMG_0472.JPG

IMG_0473.JPG

IMG_0471.JPG

Edited by AndrewB

@Masonsailor I order from Cook Woods https://www.cookwoods.com/

Cook woods is quite reasonable on prices and shipping costs.  Any orders over 75 dollars is free shipping.  So if you make a big order shipping wont cost you anything.  How ever they do use UPS for their shipping unless you're ordering pen blanks from them then they ship via USPS.  They are out of Kalamath Falls Oregon.

@lew Thanks, I've been trying out different methods of sanding.  On the outside I've been sticking with the 5 inch disc sander to get through the rough stuff then hand sanding after the 220 up to the proper grit... Which seems to work out for me quite well in the end.  Although the inside of the bowl needs more work on sanding.  Its still tough to get out the tear outs and what not.

Guess I'm not recording for a while my camera stand broke sheesh.  So I had to order a new one.

Edited by AndrewB

Welp I think I now have a sanding standard for bowls.  I need to get more 80 grit sand paper for the time being I've been using the discs from my disc sander.  Either way for the inside of the bowl holy sheesh.  Yea I'm doin that this way from now on.  Thinner walls and thinner bottoms.  I like this.  I think I'm just now starting to get the hang of this.  I wish I could do bigger bowls but my lathe is unfortunately limited to this size.

IMG_0478.JPG

IMG_0479.JPG

It took me long enough to get it.  But with the right sand papers.  It works I just need to get a hold of some more 80 grit paper as I said.  I used the disc sander pretty heavy up to 220 on the outside of the bowl then went to hand sanding.  Then all hand sanding on the inside of the bowl.  So I think I mix between the two gave it the better of the outcomes.  Unfortunately I don't have anything at this time that I can use to power sand on the inside of the bowl itself.  Its just not currently in the budget.

Progress, progress, progress. A tip on camera stand , we are all using mic stands for cameras (not SLRs) and it takes less space , easy to move and with goose neck easy to orient (or use a Magic arm ).

I think it is time to step it up another notch and work on embellishing the bottom. Use a piece of rubber or mouse pad on the chuck and place the hollowed bowl on it . Then bring up the tailstock using  a turned piece over the live center so as not to mar the bowl. Now you can cut lines or use a Decorating Elf (make your own) to embellish the bottom. You know the first thing that happens when picks up your bowl...........they look at the bottom. Give them something to look at.

3 hours ago, AndrewB said:

It took me long enough to get it.  But with the right sand papers.  It works I just need to get a hold of some more 80 grit paper as I said.  I used the disc sander pretty heavy up to 220 on the outside of the bowl then went to hand sanding.  Then all hand sanding on the inside of the bowl.  So I think I mix between the two gave it the better of the outcomes.  Unfortunately I don't have anything at this time that I can use to power sand on the inside of the bowl itself.  Its just not currently in the budget.

Check out the video from Rick Turns in today’s Wednesday’s Wisdom. He uses the inertia sander on the inside of the vase

11 hours ago, Gerald said:

Progress, progress, progress. A tip on camera stand , we are all using mic stands for cameras (not SLRs) and it takes less space , easy to move and with goose neck easy to orient (or use a Magic arm ).

I think it is time to step it up another notch and work on embellishing the bottom. Use a piece of rubber or mouse pad on the chuck and place the hollowed bowl on it . Then bring up the tailstock using  a turned piece over the live center so as not to mar the bowl. Now you can cut lines or use a Decorating Elf (make your own) to embellish the bottom. You know the first thing that happens when picks up your bowl...........they look at the bottom. Give them something to look at.

Yea I had one of those mic stands but unfortunately it didn't work I tried to retro fit it to my uses.  The reason I went with a bigger tripod is quite honestly simpler than anything.  I eventually plan on getting a cannon digital camera unfortunately Nikons are WAY too expensive.  So when I receive that I wanted something that would be able to hold the new camera and the iPhone with out any issues or problems.  I'm currently working out where I can place the tripod so it wouldnt be in the way and I could still be out of frame I am not one that likes being on camera or photographed.  But I've got the bench worked out for that one I think.  With a bit of zoom.  So everything should work out just fine on that end.