In a year of firsts

Fred W. Hargis Jr

I've seen yet another. At 72 years old I thought I had seen it all, this year has proved me soooo wrong. Now I saw a news cast that said the Oregon authorities are warning of a "mass fatality" event with the current fire situation. I had never heard such a warning, and I can only hope they are very, very wrong. I saw footage of Phoenix, Or. and it looked to be completely leveled by the fire. All you in the west need to know our (my) hearts go out to you and we are hoping for the best!

The news has been rough out here. 62 major forest fires in California alone. We heard about a boy last night who was found deceased sitting down with his back to a wall, with his dead dog in his lap. Tears from us. 

More of these local stories are coming out as our firefighters make their way into the zones. 

The weather has cooled off considerably, we are praying this makes a difference. 

Thoughts and prayers sent out to all those dealing with the fires. Sometimes I forget how lucky we are in New England for the most part, with weather/climate/natural forces. We are not usually susceptible to tornados, hurricanes, earth quakes, and forest fires.We will get the occasional blizzard. Hoping for a good soaking. 

I have a cousin there in North California and he had to evacuate.  Haven't heard anymore about him or from him.  On the evening news today, a 90+ woman with her 2 dogs has not been found and had no way to get out.  

I am praying that all the west coast gets a good rain to quinch the fires and clear the air.  This smoke is going to cause long lasting health problems.  

Archived