Kevin the turner

New to Turning

Rate this topic

10 minutes ago, Gerald said:

@Kevin the turner why not just post the pictures in turning and then I can offer you some suggestions on style and technique, But note it may be rough in some aspects.

I probably shouldn’t have posted them since it was the wrong place. I get a little post happy sometimes. I probably won’t do any more of this any way I just had some stuff come up and I gotta sell some stuff. But y’all have been great and caring. Y’all are for more talented then I will ever be.

Just now, Kevin the turner said:

I probably shouldn’t have posted them since it was the wrong place. I get a little post happy sometimes. I probably won’t do any more of this any way I just had some stuff come up and I gotta sell some stuff. But y’all have been great and caring. Y’all are for more talented then I will ever be.

Don't ever give up you just need some guidance and lessons. The best way to get advise is to join a local turning club. The closest clubs I can Find are Tuscaloosa and Mobile and looks like you may be right in the middle.

46 minutes ago, Gerald said:

Don't ever give up you just need some guidance and lessons. The best way to get advise is to join a local turning club. The closest clubs I can Find are Tuscaloosa and Mobile and looks like you may be right in the middle.

That’s true Gerald but in the middle is still 2 hours from anywhere here. Lol it s all good anyway.  I’ll more than likely have to sell my stuff anyway. It’s not a big deal just a bump in the road.

@Kevin the turner, I can move this post to the turner's forum if you want. But I have to move the entire thing. You've done such a fantastic job of introducing yourself, maybe we could leave it here and you could repost your projects in the turner's form.

Please let me know what you would like me to do.

Kevin Don' t just jump into giving up on what you have going. Buy one carbide tool with a round cutter. Try it and you will see it is easier to use but will not give the finish of a bowl gouge with practice. You have a good eye and are trying things I did not try for a couple years after I started. Now try a simple bowl . or as a related item one that looks like a cereal bowl.

1. start between centers

2. turn it round and make a tenon on the tailstock end

3. still between centers shape the outside

4. now reverse the bowl and place the tenon in a chuck

5. start hollowing the bowl. I know that for sure you can do. If the wood is wet leave wall thickness at one-tenth of the overall diameter if the bowl . If it is 10 inches leave 1 inch thick. If it is dry wood sand before reverse and sand inside when turned to final thickness.

6. if wet place in a paper bag or box with shavings and top closed. Open the bag every couple days and if bag very wet change bags. At about two weeks dump the shavings and leave bowl in bag till dry.

Try this as an experiment before giving up . I did not mean to discourage only my methods are straight forward because it is very hard to finesses a lesson in words only.

As another option you can do what I did to start . That is to turn lots of spindles like your ornament. It can be very relaxing and you will learn to use your tools with very little risk of a dangerous catch,

23 hours ago, Gerald said:

Kevin Don' t just jump into giving up on what you have going. Buy one carbide tool with a round cutter. Try it and you will see it is easier to use but will not give the finish of a bowl gouge with practice. You have a good eye and are trying things I did not try for a couple years after I started. Now try a simple bowl . or as a related item one that looks like a cereal bowl.

1. start between centers

2. turn it round and make a tenon on the tailstock end

3. still between centers shape the outside

4. now reverse the bowl and place the tenon in a chuck

5. start hollowing the bowl. I know that for sure you can do. If the wood is wet leave wall thickness at one-tenth of the overall diameter if the bowl . If it is 10 inches leave 1 inch thick. If it is dry wood sand before reverse and sand inside when turned to final thickness.

6. if wet place in a paper bag or box with shavings and top closed. Open the bag every couple days and if bag very wet change bags. At about two weeks dump the shavings and leave bowl in bag till dry.

Try this as an experiment before giving up . I did not mean to discourage only my methods are straight forward because it is very hard to finesses a lesson in words only.

As another option you can do what I did to start . That is to turn lots of spindles like your ornament. It can be very relaxing and you will learn to use your tools with very little risk of a dangerous catch,

I'm not discouraged, just have some stuff going on.  I'll bounce back I always do. Brother keep doing what your doing.

On 9/3/2020 at 2:20 PM, Kevin the turner said:

Hello and welcome. Don’t worry about it. We all love pictures.