Bowl Drying

I have been experimenting with a technique that uses dishwashing soap and water to help speed drying without warping or cracking (mostly). The process has been around for a while but you don't hear much about it. Here's a pretty good article from Woodcraft explaining the process-

https://www.woodcraft.com/blog_entries/soap-in-your-bowl.

I've had really good success with it. After the soak, I put the piece in a bag of shavings for about a week (or longer if I forget) then finish turning. Usually there is no warping or cracking- although my last piece made a liar out of me-

5.JPEG.7fc3862b4ef46f4f930ad9f01534c74f.JPEG

Your "oven" is really nice. I need to make one to get rid of the shavings bags.

Don’t use the attic . That is urban legend. It will cause crack because too hot too long. 

I use shavings in paper bags for about two weeks being sure to open or change bag every couple days or risk mold. Still may get some. Usually after two weeks dump shavings and just use bag. To determine EMC I weigh twice a week to start and if prolonged that goes to once a week.

Now how bout those platter blanks too big for bag? Just seal the edges and put on the shelf and weight weekly

On 8/28/2020 at 11:00 AM, lew said:

I have been experimenting with a technique that uses dishwashing soap and water to help speed drying without warping or cracking (mostly). The process has been around for a while but you don't hear much about it. Here's a pretty good article from Woodcraft explaining the process-

https://www.woodcraft.com/blog_entries/soap-in-your-bowl.

I've had really good success with it. After the soak, I put the piece in a bag of shavings for about a week (or longer if I forget) then finish turning. Usually there is no warping or cracking- although my last piece made a liar out of me-

5.JPEG.7fc3862b4ef46f4f930ad9f01534c74f.JPEG

Your "oven" is really nice. I need to make one to get rid of the shavings bags.

Never heard of the soap method. Guess that makes sense though. Maybe I’ll give that one a try.

• 3 years later...

I'm resurrecting an old thread. I'm too impatient so I microwave dry. It is fine for what I do, but if you are making $500 bowls, you probably won't go that route. I also built a drying box (kiln). I made mine out of two sheets of foam house sheathing. I just duct taped it together. I will likely use the drying box more, and the microwave less.

Kent Weakly at www.turnawoodbowl.com has an article on Drying Green Wood Bowls – 6 Methods For Success. In it, he talks about the drying box. Here's a pic from the article:

image.png.053b071765a40024e39fc0a024ade500.png

You can't see them here, but he cut vents top and bottom to facilitate airflow.