Hurricane Laura check in

Charles Nicholls

On 8/27/2020 at 6:32 AM, John Morris said:

My wife is in Aiken, South Carolina visiting my Army buddies wife (God rest his soul), and she told me yesterday the airlines are putting out the possibility that her flight may be delayed next Saturday back home.

I hope all in the path fair well, and if you have evacuation orders, go, please.

Hey John, did your wife make it back today ok?

Just checking in. We are A-OK. I live about 20 miles east of Houston. For awhile, it looked like we were going to get hit hard, so we packed up the daughter and grandkids and went to visit relatives in Burleson (south of Fort Worth). As it turned out, the storm took a northerly turn an hour or two from landfall, and hit Cameron and Lake Charles area hard. Our house didn't get any wind or rain that I saw. I say I saw because we didn't lose power and I could view our cameras over the internet. We were very lucky. Just about 90 miles due east of us (Orange, Tx), they got a lot of damage, and it was worse to farther east you go.

Years ago, we used to fish Big Lake (Lake Calcasieu), and the jetties leading out into the gulf. Cameron is on the coast. I think they got wiped out back in 2005 (Rita), and now they have sustained severe damage again.

Note: Good to hear from David Falkner. I was worried about him because it looked like the predicted track would take the storm inland near him.

Archived