Table Saw Blade Storage?

I recently saw a disparaging remark (can't remember exactly where) which implied that I'm doing my table saw blade storage all wrong. I have a 10" Craftsman (flex drive) saw and the Shopsmith Mark V/500. When I bought the Shopsmith the blades were all thrown together in the bottom of a cardboard box except for the one which was mounted on the machine.

I threw the rusted ones out, one (carbide rip blade) was worth sharpening and is still wrapped in plastic from the sharpener, an 8" fine tooth plywood steel blade was not sharpenable but still appears to have some life in it, I have the 10" steel combination blade which came on the Shopsmith, and I've purchased a pair of (5/8" arbor) Craftsman blades from Big Blue Box for the flex drive; as I've purchased the Shopsmith 5/8" arbor I can use them on it as well. I also have a stacked dado set and wobble dado (thanks, John!) which could be used on either machine. That's my current inventory, although when finances improve a little bit I'm hoping to get a good thin-kerf premium quality combination blade from Forrest or Freud or the like. Not sure whether I want 5/8" arbor or bore it out to Shopsmith 1-1/4".

So, what would be the proper way to store these blades? Currently they're all laying flat in a drawer in the tool cart I use to hold my accessories. I'm thinking of taking a piece of 2x6 or 2x8, clamping down on the Shopsmith saw table, and lowering it onto the spinning blade to cut a slot to store the various blades in vertically. Or is there a better way? What would the old hands recommend?

• 1 month later...