Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

@lew, this is another great post.  I will have to take some time in the heat of the day or hope for some rain to watch the remainder of videos that I did not get to see.  I really enjoyed learning about the live centers.  I had heard Cap'n Eddie Castelin use the Sorby drive center and I think that I like that one.  Still building boxes, but hope to get to turning soon.  Thank you, @lew.

Got to spend my after lunch preshop time watching videos. Thanks Lew. I have been turning a lot of the shape you used. Til you called it a Dutchman I thought you had watched Emiliano on Pewas. Try black CA in the crack to make it stand out.

@Gunny Thanks!

@FlGatorwood Thank You! I see Captain Eddie is back to actually turning.

@HandyDan Thanks! 

@Gerald Thank You! You lost me on- "thought you had watched Emiliano on Pewas". The brown CA looked a lot like a cherry wood pitch pocket.

@Jim from Easy Wood Tools Thanks!!

1 hour ago, lew said:

@Gerald Thank You! You lost me on- "thought you had watched Emiliano on Pewas". The brown CA looked a lot like a cherry wood pitch pocket.

@Jim from Easy Wood Tools Thanks!!

Emilano Archival did a demo Saturday on putting Pewa in Hawaiian Calabash. Pewa is a patch used for centuries to patch the bowls (calabash) used for cooking and eating in Hawaii.

https://www.hawaiiankoaturner.com/picture-gallery-kea-woodturning/

I'm still trying to figure out what to do and how to go abouts removing a rounded scew out of one of my roughers LOL.  One rougher is good how ever the one with my regular carbide tip rougher is rounded out completely, cleaned it out really dang well and no luck.  I'm almost wondering if crazy glue would work in this situation basically glue onto the screw and then twist out from the bottom.  Not sure if that would even work.  The tool is still good the carbide tip is still good still got 3 sides to use, how ever I don't want the carbide to go to waste because of a screw LOL.  just gotta work something out.  Fortunately for me I have two roughers LOL.

5 hours ago, AndrewB said:

I'm still trying to figure out what to do and how to go abouts removing a rounded scew out of one of my roughers LOL.  One rougher is good how ever the one with my regular carbide tip rougher is rounded out completely, cleaned it out really dang well and no luck.  I'm almost wondering if crazy glue would work in this situation basically glue onto the screw and then twist out from the bottom.  Not sure if that would even work.  The tool is still good the carbide tip is still good still got 3 sides to use, how ever I don't want the carbide to go to waste because of a screw LOL.  just gotta work something out.  Fortunately for me I have two roughers LOL.

I would get an "easy out". Put the rougher in a vice with the cutting end as far away from the vise jaws as possible. Take a lighter and heat the tool bar under the screw and at the same time use the easy out to unscrew the screw. It'll probably take at least 3 hands:lol:

Edited by lew

one problem no VICE lol and honestly heating the bar up, if it was heat treated would ruin the heat treatment LOL.  Either way fortunately as stated I have two of them.  Bought two for a reason.  I'll just order a new tip and call that one for now LOL.

Edited by AndrewB

Do you have an old fashioned hardware store nearby?  They may have the tools and knowledge.  These people who work there amaze me with their knowledge.  I have a hardware store nearby that is run by a man about my age and it amazes me when I take something in and he can repair it or tell me in a few seconds.  I dread the day he closes his little store.  

37 minutes ago, AndrewB said:

one problem no VICE lol and honestly heating the bar up, if it was heat treated would ruin the heat treatment LOL.  Either way fortunately as stated I have two of them.  Bought two for a reason.  I'll just order a new tip and call that one for now LOL.

Heat as in some propane, not acetylene can't be tight if it is liquid hot.

No vice?? 

2 hours ago, AndrewB said:

honestly heating the bar up, if it was heat treated would ruin the heat treatment

Using a lighter like this would probably not affect the temper for the time it takes to loosen the screw

1269570-1217.jpg.2d555b26c7975956d6c199fd055e16d9.jpg

This method is approved by Easy Wood Tools for really stubborn screws. Also, they recommend installing the screws using the LONG shaft of the Allen wrench in the hex head hole. This prevents over-tightening. 

Not any time soon but eventually I'll be getting into resin casted pens, turns out all I have to buy is the pressure pot which is NICE so so nice.  I didn't realize that pressure pots worked off air compressors which I already have one.  Welp one less thing I have to buy for that end of things LOL.