Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

The Few, The Proud, The Patriot Woodworker's! Make no bones about it, we aren't many, but we are very proud of our community here!

lew

Pen Turning Blowout!

Rate this topic

I just can't get into pen turning. I do not know anyone who carries around a pen. If they do, Its a free one from the dentist, bank or any other place you go. All that work and you create a beautiful pen for a gift , only to be lost or ruined in the wash. Others don't use them because they are too beautiful. I didn't mention phones or other digital that has replaced both pen, pencil and paper.

21 minutes ago, Ron Altier said:

I do not know anyone who carries around a pen.

I carry one at work, but it is made of Corian, not wood.  Holds up to grease and grime and a cross refill last a long time.  Sold, and still get requests for Police Officers, office managers for Christmas Gifts or friends that want a unique inexpensive gift for someone.  Now what they do with it after I get paid, I don't care.  :D  The Police Officers generally buy 2-3 and use them for work.  My good friend has one he has used for 10 years and it is in good condition. 

Well, I've been bitten.  I have turned a few and everyone has out their hand for one.  Like Gunny said, I don't know what they do with them, but I did my part of putting a smile on their face and a moment of heart warming joy in their hearts.  I usually make custom pens for friends and neighbors.  Some like a thin pen, others like thicker and some who have problems maintaining their grip get an onion grip.  I had one friend who marks articles he reads and the pen would slide up as he pressed down.  The onion grip helps him maintain his grip.  Other folks just like the idea of a custom pen.  But, I have so much more to do than turn pens and I want to make inside out ornaments.  After I get about 3 more projects out of the way, I hope to make a few ornaments for Christmas.  Each to his own and no judgement from me.  Some folks don't turn and I respect that.  It can be very dangerous.  

I've been actually trying to find a good source for buying pen tips and end caps components been searching all over the web for where I can buy those separate parts tried amazon no luck just came up with some random searches.  So if I can find a place where I can buy basic components instead of a hole kit I'll be in business.