Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Gerald

How do you sand your work??

Rate this topic

Gerald, I like your sanding assortment.  Would you care to elaborate on sizes of the discs?  The upper panel sizes are larger than the ones in the lower section.  Do they attach to a power tool or insert into one of those hand holds like Cap'n Eddie makes?  Thank you.  

Steve the smaller are 2 inch and the upper are 3 but slightly larger since the blue is from Vince's. This is a Roloc system the pads screw onto a mandrel. In the lower photo to the right side are two round black objects with silver center, these are the mandrels. This system comes from https://woodturnerswonders.com/

He has both round shaft and new hex ball end extensions up to I think 8 inches. It could fit into any handle that has dimensions the same as the post.

But my interface pads and gold sandpaper I prefer come from SandingWood.com .

On 8/1/2020 at 11:04 PM, Gerald said:

When you find it necessary to sand on lathe under power always use speeds of 250 or less.

Unfortunately, the slowest my lathe will go is 450.  Disadvantage of the Reeves drive.  Maybe I'll upgrade and get a lathe that isn't hamster powered.

2 hours ago, PostalTom said:

Unfortunately, the slowest my lathe will go is 450.  Disadvantage of the Reeves drive.  Maybe I'll upgrade and get a lathe that isn't hamster powered.

:ChinScratch:...Tom, your lathe must be older than mine.

:throbbinghead:

Mine's at least got an electric motor for power. 

BTW what are you feeding that poor hamster to get 450 RPM out of it?

Edited by Larry Buskirk

I generally take my finished flat stock to flatness on the jointer, to thickness with my planer, send them thru the belt sander with 220 grit both sides. Then I do my part sizing and joinery. Then I use my random orbital sander with 320 and hand sand with the grain with 400. After the 1st coat of finish I smooth with steel wool with the grain and/or 400 grit backed with a standard kitchen sponge between coats. I usually apply three coats finishing with 0000 steel wool followed with Johnson's paste wax if I am looking for more gloss but generally I go for a softer finish. It generally looks pretty good to me but I am sure the fine craftsman here could give me the "tas,tsk,tsk" and the dreaded head shake upon close inspection. Finishing still scares the crap out of me.

I am currently working on a walnut pool cue rack where the final assemble is only screwed together so I will apply the finish before assembly. I am halfway done and I will be showing everyone this project by the weekend. Here again it will be a hand rubbed oil finish. I tried it out on a sample piece and the finish is just what I am looking for. We will see how it turns out.  

Edited by junglejohn

3 hours ago, Larry Buskirk said:

BTW what are you feeding that poor hamster to get 450 RPM out of it?

I keep threatening to get a hungry cat.

3 hours ago, Larry Buskirk said:

Mine's at least got an electric motor for power

I would have one, but I'm too lazy to put a fresh battery in the hamster.

46 minutes ago, Gerald said:

How do YOU tell it is time to change the sandpaper?

I never really look at it, especially the higher grits like say 800 and up.  Watching the piece I can see it is not doing anything.  So for myself, a feel really.  Next time I turn something I will pay closer attention.