How do you sand your work??

Gerald

22 hours ago, FlGatorwood said:

I change sandpaper when I get to 2 points.  Either it is not effective or the grit has lost its edge.  I will feel of a new piece and the old piece and if I determine that the one in use is insufficient, toss the old one.  

One thing that I love on my Shopsmith, there is a sanding disk.  When it gets full of dust, there is a cleaner like an old eraser that we used in mechanical drawing many years ago.  But, rubbing it on the sanding disk while it is spinning, it cleans.  It does not restore the grit, but it does extend the life of the paper.  I have tried using that cleaner on regular sandpaper, but I don't have the same success.  

I tried as well. Same result.:(

• 3 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Jim from Easy Wood Tools said:

I just ordered this today.  I've been using a 2" sanding kit from Sorby with velcro but on my big 18V standard drill.  This should make it easier to handle I think.  I'll let you know.

image.png.21d804b09267f1e4f92c28b82f292e33.png

I've always had issues with power sanders even with the lathe spinning.  Although that cordless one looks tempting tempting.  Let me know how you like it. I may wind up picking one up. Hand sanding is starting to become well dreadful LOL

Edited by AndrewB

On 8/27/2020 at 2:09 PM, PatriotWoodturning said:

I also like to stop the lathe and hand sand horizontally, before switching grits. My lathe has reverse, but I found that switching from forward to reverse doesn't matter much since it is still sanding in the same direction if that makes sense. 

I use same method. Works well.

The problem I've always had with any cordless power tool is the battery life.  I usually wind up buying 20 volts which probably is my main issue with that alone.  But I buy for what I can afford at the time.  So that is the main draw backs of battery operated tools.  How ever I do have a little battery powered cordless drill thats a 20 volt has done quite well.  Even when the drill has been left out in the shop over night and in the colder air.  But most of my sanding for now has been done by hand the disc sander did not work out that great.

Since I'm just so keen on hand sanding, I don't really mind it any more I just picked up two of these assorted Turners Sandpaper Abrasive 5 Roll Assormtent from Home Depot.... Ordered it online of course.  But 1 inch width by a 20 foot roll???  I mean I couldn't pass this offer up.  So much cheaper than what I've been doing for purchasing sand paper.  Either way they will be nice to have when I get them... Unfortunately they wont get here until the 17th.  Oh well.  Sand paper shortage SOLVED.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/POWERTEC-Turners-Sandpaper-Abrasive-5-Roll-Assortment-4RA2100/309855301

powertec-power-sander-accessories-4ra2100-64_1000.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 10/16/2020 at 4:11 PM, PostalTom said:

@Jim from Easy Wood Tools, how did that cordless sander from Rikon work for you?  I'm sure you must have posted your review someplace, right?:WonderScratch: I must have missed it.

No...  You haven't missed a thing.  Ordered early September, still on backorder (no warning when I ordered it)

Expected ship date is end of October.  I'll let you know

• 2 weeks later...