Not exactly sure how to solve this problem.

AndrewB

I'm almost starting to thing that the problems I was having with the wobble is the simple fact that there was something messed up with the wood or something of that nature.  I can't quite make it out.  How ever on this test run  I shaved this spindle down to a round from its off square shape.  No wobble in the piece and no kick back on the tool even when pressing it lightly against the piece.  So not really sure what to think now.

8 hours ago, AndrewB said:

something messed up with the wood or something of that nature.

Wood is not always consistent.  Mother Nature is mean like that.  Very possible you had some harder spots in that chunk wood that while they did spin down to a rounded shape, they were not completely round.  You will see this more prevalent if you do laminations mixing say maple with purpleheart.  The Purpleheart is much more dense and hard than the maple.  As you spin it down you can feel the slight rise and fall as you hit the purpleheart then the maple.   This is where your technique needs to be perfected.  Only you can feel that and know to lean in some / not bend the chisel, and smooth it out.  Sandpaper is not going to fix this, just mask it.  Besides why waste that much sandpaper?  You have come a long way from setting the first chisel to a chunk of wood.  Time to work on the finer details.  

To work on your technique I would suggest sticking with pens for a bit. Much more forgiving and not so big in scale.  Even if you screw a blank up you can cut it off the brass insert and reuse the insert on a  new blank. Be creative with making slight curves and maybe a burn mark.   

I did just order a bunch of blanks and pen parts I've still got to pick up a press and a tail stock chuck for pens specifically.  How ever I do plan on keeping at pens Id like to make one that ACTUALLY works and functions LOL.  I don't mind sticking with pens at all, its small and simple.  Just got to figure out better ways to cut down the pieces to size to fit the pens and drilling out the blanks.  Which has been quite a pain because they don't always wind up perfectly center for some odd reason.  Either way, I've been trying to do that with the limited tools that I do have.

Ok lets look at two things . First off the face plate is probably the most stable holding method but even this can be thrown off by some methods of turning.If you get a catch no matter how great the holding method the wood shifts over slightly or more so if in a chuck. This can also happen if you are taking too large of a bite with the tool.

Now as to your video. Is that the way you always hold your gouge for turning? If so you are going backwards. The open flute (the hollow) should point in the direction you are cutting. To put it another way the point of the gouge should point in the direction of cut. Not sure what you were doing but you are lifting the gouge too much . It should ride thru the cut. Start and stop does not get the job done.

@Gunny As I said I do not mind keeping with pens for a bit, I actually plan on getting fully set up and fully stocked to be doing pens for days on end.  I figured it might be easier to start with bowls but who knows LOL.  I made a few good ones at least.  I am actually salvaging some pen parts at the moment and getting another blank up and running I'm going to be placing an order here shortly again for more blanks.

1 hour ago, AndrewB said:

a pain because they don't always wind up perfectly center for some odd reason. 

With pens this doesn't matter that greatly.    So what it is off center?  You start with 3/4 inch wood blank and turn it down to less than 3/8.  Plenty of wiggle room.  If the off center portion is still 3/8 inch you have enough to play with.  The barrel trimmer brings the blank square to the brass insert.  No worries there now all will be flat when you assemble.  You will get better as you go.  I am comfortable cutting a 1/2 blank for say a slimline pen.  My Drill press jig does a great job of staying straight.  So I drill a 7mm hole and get started.  

Yea I actually really like the features of the barrel turner it works quite well.  I actually messed up twice already LOL good thing I can do things quick.  So now I'm working with two mix matched pieces LOL.  Either way, if I can pull this one off should be decently looking with the color combos,  I've got a bunch more blanks on order from the supplier, still gotta source out actual pen parts and what not that's another issue at hand.  @Gerald  I am going to have to have a look at that video tomorrow as its already pretty late here.  TY.

Andrew, my thoughts on all your troubles is that you are not taking the time to learn the techniques.  I want this to be helpful not critical.  You jumped into this with both feet and that is great and you have been jumping back and forth from spindles to bowls to pens and back.  My suggestion is to slow down and learn spindle turning.  YouTube is your friend.  You should be able to go from one end of the blank to the other and have a smooth surface from one end to the other.

Dull tools have as much to do with good turning as good techniques.  The harder you have to push on the tool to get it to cut the more likely it is to get the turning out of round.   On a bowl if you go to sanding on a piece that is not cut smoothly the sand paper will cut the long grain quicker than the end grain causing it to be out of round.  A good "catch" will knock the piece of kilter.  Turning a spindle between centers you need to keep checking the tail stock for needing adjusted because the spur drive and live center dig in deeper as it is being turned depending on the wood species. 

My first attempt at turning was a miserable disaster and I let the lathe sit idle as a necessary evil and only used it if I had to.  After I got a computer I decided to try turning again as it always fascinated me.  I watched videos and I had so many "aha" moments when I saw errors of my ways. I feel if you take more time to hone your skills you will be a happy turner for life.

I personally love this craft and wish you all the best.